Why XP when you have a great OS installed on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Nowadays there is so much buzz about installing XP on Macs. Anybody who has experience with Windows might know how bad it is. So why do the people want to have it installed and just waste a big partition which you can use for something more useful?

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, there are people that still need to use Windows, either because they have bought software before switching to the Mac and don't want to buy it again for Mac (like their games, for example), or simply because they need to use software which simply doesn't exist on Mac.
People who have to work in AutoCAD, or CATIA (just as a n example, there are others), need Windows...and there are other programs on a professional level which don't exist for OS X, and there's no compatible enough Mac equivalent.

Lots of switcher still have a PC running alongside their Mac because of this, and running Windows natively on a Mac makes the second computer useless...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Exactly Avalon. I require an XP machine for work and school, but I use OS X for the majority of my other stuff. Being able to get rid of my XP machine by consolidating it into one box would be great! Plus, I have a few special programs that only run on XP that I will not give up, so being able to run both on one computer would be really nice.

M

MJGUK

Well I somewhat take the original posters' point......But when you think about it more, you realise that whether you like Windows or not, it just happens to serve some typical functions to people in certain areas.

For example when I saw Boot Camp, at first there was no way I was putting Windows anywhere near my lovely new iMac....Not because I 'hate' Windows, but I just GREATLY prefer OS X and I felt no need for Windows.

Now I'm pondering the idea of using a Windows partition just for gaming. I don't game much anymore anyway, but it might be nice to have the option occasionally :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I require XP on my mac because I've been DYING to game on my mac. I'm a HUGE PC gamer, and many games don't exist for OS X, so Windows is now more of a need than a luxury...

Reaction score
I wouldn't install XP on a bet or for free for that matter, I got my Mac to get away from the windows environment . I can understand why people install XP, the thing that bugs me is everyone thinks Apple is the good guy, it was hacked and on the web before Apple got involved. Apple new it was a losing fight so came out with boot camp.

Reaction score
As a long time windows users, I kept and plan to keep my PC for running the windows only stuff that I've accumulated over the years and I don't see the point of committing a portion of my Mac's HD to Windows. That said, I am using my Mac for most stuff and moved all of the tasks that I can over it.

I recently found Parallels Workstation (Virtual Machine) software which has a Mac Version in Beta currently. I installed the Beta and successfully installed Windows XP on it for testing. The install went fine and it works as well as you would expect a beta version to work. It's quite stable, XP is running quite well in it and it's fast. There are some features that aren't in the current beta that will be when the product goes production.

Now I fully understand that there are some applications and I'm going to assume most games are not going work well enough on a virtual machine to solve everyone issues, but for $49 it's going to be quite a solution. I loaded FrontPage on it and was able to work on my website with it. I've used Remote Desktop Client to connect to my PC and it works much better than the 4 year old Remote Desktop Client for the Mac.

With some exceptions, I do expect it to fill many needs with several benefits. Each VM (Virtual Machine) is nothting more than a set of files that can easily be backed up and removed). You can have multiple VMs running at a time. You can run various OS's such as DOS, Linux and various versions of Windows. With the Core Duo in most of the Mac's and a VM solution that takes advantage of that, it certainy has it's place. Also, the ability to cut and paste between VMs and/or Mac OS is very handy. Beyond using all of your software on one machine, it's very nice to be able build up test machines and experiement to your hearts content without worrying about screwing up your primary systems. And no rebooting to switch between Mac OS and Windows! The link to the site is below. And no, I'm not associated with them in any way, I found their link on the Apple Website Article about Boot Camp.

http://www.parellels.com

T

Tiranis

jram said:
I wouldn't install XP on a bet or for free for that matter, I got my Mac to get away from the windows environment . I can understand why people install XP, the thing that bugs me is everyone thinks Apple is the good guy, it was hacked and on the web before Apple got involved. Apple new it was a losing fight so came out with boot camp.

Because Apple made it easy and released proper drivers. Boot Camp is way better than the hacked solution, that's why Apple is the good guy. Got a problem with that?

As for original question, some of us actually like to game or have to use a windows only program. Just because you don't see a use for it, doesn't mean other people don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Yes, Microsoft is out there on the Macs. Boot Camp helps those who need to use two computers and put them into one. Personally, I would not put Boot Camp on my Mac, because if I were to use microsoft there would be so many security issues out there that I do not want to deel with. That is the main reason why I got my beloved iMac. Although I do see Microsoft as a very vital OS to Most of the busisness comunity, and for that I respect Microsoft's OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
Well for instance I am currently studying for Series 24 exam. For some reason the folks at the Kaplan and the NASD do not like the mac platform. All of their practice and study guides are on made for Windows. Now would I love the convenience of being able to study anywhere, anytime with my MBP? **** yeah! Unfortunately, to study I must use my home PC. Am I interested in utilizing bootcamp on my MBP? No, but like everyone else that is a personal opinion. I do see that the benefit of using both OS's would be fantastic for some and repulsive for others. All depending on your experience with both OS's and actual need. Maybe once the bootcamp software is fully intergrated in OS X Leopard and refined I might think about it.

I

imacdoyou

I understand the need for some who need to have Windows running for various reasons, but what bothers me is that most Mac forums are obsessing over running Windows now. All the Mac sites seem to be turning into Windows users forums. Forgive me as I may appear off base, but I needed to vent......:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
jram said:
The problem is they come out with a program and don't support it.. Many problems as talked about here.http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125393,00.asp
The only reason they're not currently supporting it as of now is because of the fact that it's a Beta. Most companies do NOT support Betas. In fact, most of them have disclaimers that mention something along the lines of "We will not offer support on Betas, so please do not submit bugs, blah blah blah..."

I don't totally agree with it, but that's a different story :p However, I understand why they don't support it.

Reaction score
I need Windows for Study guides and things like that that are put out by organizations in the business world. I'm taking a self study course right now and can only use the 'Flash-card' CD-ROM on my computer at work. These folks don't give a crap about Apple Macs. They produce these CD-ROM materials in Windows. Virtually 100% of all business-type organizations that send out a CD-ROM with info on it concerning their product - it's gonna be Windows only.

I also would like to take work home with me in Excel that can be read on a Windows OS.

I would love to have Windows XP on my iMac at home but will wait until Apple comes out with Leopard - likely the rumored virtualization will be available. Then i will plop down the $$ for a copy of Windows Vista.

I will still only use it for closed applications that don't run on OS X. Any internet use will definitely be through OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Does anyone besides me think that Apple officially supporting Windows on their machines is the only chance they have to gain significant ground in the PC sales market? Lets look at the facts: in 1985 Apple had a 15.1% market share, fast forward 20 years later and it is a measly 4% in 2005. The advertising efforts to get people to switch failed. The only widely accepted product that Apple has made has been the Ipod. If you took that product from them, what would their sales figures look like then? Now imagine that Apple now allows you to order their computers with both OS's installed and supported. Do you not think that masses of people would purchase Apple computers while still being able to remain in their safety nest of the Windows world? The bottom line is that 96 out of 100 people use Windows and may never switch to another OS. The average computer user has no inclination to switch to something that they know nothing about and may be intimidated to make a change. Apple continues to claim that they are a hardware company. If this is totally true, then give your consumers a choice of OS's and watch your profits rise.

Reaction score
Apple advertise?? Listen, since i bought my iMac in January, I have had numerous friends over who are simply amazed that they have never, ever, ever seen an iMac or an Apple commercial about the computers. They all say they would buy one in a minute, in fact two that i know of have already. the others don't have the money to spend but would. No TV, no resellers in this entire State carry Apple products except for the iPod and an occassional Mini at Best Buy. - The iPod would be nowhere if not for commercial TV - why not the other Apple products - does Apple think people will buy one of their computers based on info they received through osmosis? All of the friends who see my iMac are immediately impressed by what a "bomb" computer I have - and, but where is the tower??? What is this writing on the back? IMAC?

Whatever lack of success Apple has is their own fault. Nobody but Apple users know much of anything about the Mac. If Apple is depending on word-of-mouth advertising, which they must be, they will continue to lose market share relative to Microsoft no matter what they come out with.

Reaction score
I use a mac..(no duhh)(i had to say that) Every now and then i need to use a pc for odd jobs, i enjoy using mac more, but still keep a pc in my basement.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope no one hates me for this, but I just have to say it....

If you install Windows XP Pro on your Mac you have TWO great OS's on your Mac!

:spook:

Please don't throw any rotten tomatoes!

Reaction score
Sorry .. i made a mistake... look at my next post..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.