Help!! I Cant Install Anything

G

Gotsticcyrice

I Just Got A IMAC and its used... well i downloaded aim for the mac and i got it ,but the problem is that when i try to install it , it opens with microsoft excell and saids that it cant read the format....please tell me wat to do ...also microsoft excell is set as the default.. how and wat program should i use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I don't know the answer BUT aim for mac is HORRIBLE. it crashes often, i suggest iChat. Apples version of AIM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You probably need to download stuffit expander first...
It's kind of like winzip...

But you don't actually need to download aim: iChat should be installed on your mac and that's aim compatible.

Just enter your screen name and password and you should be all set!

OP
G

Gotsticcyrice

Gotsticcyrice said:
I Just Got A IMAC and its used... well i downloaded aim for the mac and i got it ,but the problem is that when i try to install it , it opens with microsoft excell and saids that it cant read the format....please tell me wat to do ...also microsoft excell is set as the default.. how and wat program should i use?

thanks Everyone For ya Help ..... aight one more thing ... any good programs for mac other than kazza or winmx?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Gotsticcyrice said:
thanks Everyone For ya Help ..... aight one more thing ... any good programs for mac other than kazza or winmx?

Someone already beat me to telling you to download Stuffit Expander to open AIM. I also agree, use iChat for AIM as the AOL version for OSX is not very good.

There is Limiwire and many other Bit Torrent type applications. I really don't use the file sharing services much at all, so Limewire works fine for the little I use it. Someone else will suggest something else as I am not into it that much.

OP
G

Gotsticcyrice

Aptmunich said:
You probably need to download stuffit expander first...
It's kind of like winzip...

But you don't actually need to download aim: iChat should be installed on your mac and that's aim compatible.

Just enter your screen name and password and you should be all set!

how would i check to see if i already got the expander ?maybe its not set as default for programs to open with ? and how who i change the default?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you have a newer Mac that came with Tiger or you did a FRESH INSTALL of Tiger, you do not have Stuffit Expander. They stopped including it with Tiger in favor of built in Zip and Unzip. Mac OS is a bit different than windows and if the program is anywhere on an HDD it will find it and run it. That is one thing about even early versions of old MAC OS I loved.

OP
G

Gotsticcyrice

I have a IMAC and its clear white ..any one kno wat OS version it is or how would i find out

OP
G

Gotsticcyrice

and it comes with about 35GB and the format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of the screen.

Then hit 'about this mac' and it should tell you which OS version you're running.

Is it a bulbous CRT screen white iMac? Or is it a flat screen iMac with a round base and LCD screen attached by a silver neck? Or is it the iMac where the entire computer is located behind the flat panel display?

OP
G

Gotsticcyrice

i got the imac os x version 10.4.4 500mhz .... the machine model is power mac 2.2 ... and the screeen is not flat and the harddrive is behind the screen (internal ithink that wats its called )

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotsticcyrice said:
i got the imac os x version 10.4.4 500mhz .... the machine model is power mac 2.2 ... and the screeen is not flat and the harddrive is behind the screen (internal ithink that wats its called )

You have OSX Tiger. You need to download Stuffit Expander. Let me find you a download link. BRB.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/182

OP
G

Gotsticcyrice

its in the process of DL from stuffit.com is that str8? or do u have a better link

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the right version. If you clicked Download it's the latest version. Just checked it to be sure

It comes in a DMG Disk Image. Click on it and it will mount on the desktop, then open the disk image. When it opens, double click to install it. Then your .sit files will open and expand.

OP
G

Gotsticcyrice

wat do i do wit the installation file after im all done wit it i try to trash it but it saids is being use

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotsticcyrice said:
wat do i do wit the installation file after im all done wit it i try to trash it but it saids is being use

When you clicked on the DMG, a folder mounted on your Desktop. I take it you opened that folder and drug the program to the Applications folder? If so, you launch if from the Applications folder, but just click on a sit file and it will launch. Once you have copied the application to the applications folder, drag that folder that opened when you clicked on the DMG and drag that to the trash. Then you can delete the download. BE SURE though you have opened that folder and drug the Stuffit application to the Applications folder on the Hard Drive.

Hope this makes sense. it's late!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
If no one said it yet... control - click / right click on the file and open with >

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
AIM should be built right into AV Chat, and it works just fine for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.