What is this cable ? (24" iMac display)

Reaction score
I am in the process of repurposing a 24" iMac (logic board died) to use as a 24" monitor. I purchased a controller board kit which is specifically for this LG display. As I have noted in the photo there is a white single-wire cable coming from behind the display panel. This cable was connected to the original inverter board. There is a four pin connector on the end of the wire with only one of the pins wired. Can anyone tell me exactly what this cable is ? My first thought was backlight but I can find no documentation any where as to what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Before I power this up I want to be sure of what I have or don't have plugged in. Thanks.

image5.JPG

Reaction score
If it was connected to the inverter then I would think think it is for the backlight as it goes to the panel.

Is the inverter not longer in use with this mod?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey DERENZO1. Don't know which exact model 24" iMac you have. And rather than going thru a bunch of Q&A…just head over to ifixit.com…and check out some of the repair/disassembly procedures they have there for your exact model 24" iMac. Usually the instructions are pretty darn detailed…such as it may say…"disconnect xyz cable".

With the "xyz" being the name of the cable you're trying to identify. If you get an answer…please post back what you found out.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Thread moved to better area (Desktops)…not an "Operating System" topic.:)

OP
D
Reaction score
Elf69, Thanks for the response. The original inverter board is replaced with the one from the kit. For this mod every thing except the lcd panel is removed from the iMac case. I would have thought backlight would have required two wire cable. Thanks again.

OP
D
Reaction score
Pigoo3, thanks for the reply. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, will not happen again . I searched the Internet high and low for an answer to my question with no luck. The instructions on iFixit.com are great until it gets to the removal of the inverter board and no mention of the white cable is made even though the pictures clearly show the cable plugged into the inverter board. A search of the lcd itself does not show this cable ? I'm going to assume it's the backlight cable and hope for the best. I'll post if I ever get an answer. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.