Black bars on log in screen (not hardware problem)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are the black bars (or borders) you are referring to on the bottom & right side of the photo?

What model Apple computer is this? Is this a builtin display or an external display?

What OS version is installed?

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes they are on the bottom and right side. It is a 2015 macbook pro 13" with el capitan (v. 10.11.4)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up check your User Account and make sure you are logged in as Administrator and not Guest. To fnd this System Preferences > Users & Groups > Password.

Don't see the black bars, however if no joy checking Admistrator, if it is under warranty make an appointment at the Genius Bar or Apple Store.

OP
N
Reaction score
I am logged in as admin. If there isn't an easy fix for this i'll just leave it - after all it doesn't really matter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
If I'm following along correctly, the "black bars" you are referring to are the blank areas along the right edge and bottom edge. To me, this seems to indicate an issue with the resolution of the screen prior to login.

Try this: Power off the Mac. Immediately after powering it back on, press and hold Command, Option, P, and R until you hear the startup chime for the second time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.