Mac Mini shuts itself down at night

Reaction score
I am running OS X El Capitan on a Mac Mini. Since the latest update, my computer is shutting itself down at night. How do I correct?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

Can you say exactly what you mean by "shutting itself down?" There is a setting in System Preferences/Energy Saver for sleep, is that what you mean?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better location.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Goes to sleep may be a better description. I can only gain access to my screen by tapping the power button at which time my screen comes on in a gray color. It takes a while for it to set up in its normal configuration for me to sign in.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Goes to sleep may be a better description. I can only gain access to my screen by tapping the power button at which time my screen comes on in a gray color. It takes a while for it to set up in its normal configuration for me to sign in.

What you should share with us is how you had your Mac-Mini setup to operate BEFORE the OS update.:) Then we would have a better idea how to help you setup your Mac-Mini after the OS update (since it seems to be misbehaving).;)

By the way…just to be 100% clear. Did you recently "update" El Capitan…or did you "upgrade" to El Capitan (from an older OS version)?

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Try this: Open System Preferences, Power Saver, and on the CPU slider, move it to Never. The screen will still go black after the time set for that, but the CPU will stay on continuously. Now when you tap any key, all that has to happen is the screen wakes up. What is happening now is the CPU has to wake up, reestablish where it was, fire up the drives and recover the system state from the drive. That's what is taking the time. By never letting the CPU sleep, you are avoiding that process. However, the CPU will be running, consuming power and theoretically wearing itself out. It's your call on whether that is more important to you than having to wait a bit on wakeup.

OP
M
Reaction score
Try this: Open System Preferences, Power Saver, and on the CPU slider, move it to Never. The screen will still go black after the time set for that, but the CPU will stay on continuously. Now when you tap any key, all that has to happen is the screen wakes up. What is happening now is the CPU has to wake up, reestablish where it was, fire up the drives and recover the system state from the drive. That's what is taking the time. By never letting the CPU sleep, you are avoiding that process. However, the CPU will be running, consuming power and theoretically wearing itself out. It's your call on whether that is more important to you than having to wait a bit on wakeup.

Thank you. This worked. My latest OS X update must have changed the default position to "never."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.