This is what I want to do, Should I switch?

J

JarLeachJim

I apologize if this question is beaten to the ground on this site. I really want to switch and I'm not sure if I should. These are the things I will be doing:

1. Burning/Copying CD'd and DVD's (Can you copy CD's and DVD's seamlessly on Mac's)

2. I'm a grad student working on my MCIS, so I need to have Java, C/C++, VB, HTML, MS Office (for Access DB) IDE'S/studios on my machine. (Obviously I'll need a laptop)

3. Simple gaming. I don't want a gaming machine, but I'd to play a few games ala WoW, Civ 4...

4. I have about 2300 songs on my PC in my itunes folder. Is it easy to convert my windows ipod to a mac ipod

5. I have a wireless network, Can I transfer files from my two PC's to my new mac

What do you guys/gals think. Based on what I'll be using the machine for, should I take the plunge into the world of macintosh? I need a laptop for school so is there a mac laptop that fits the above criteria?

Reaction score
You can easily burn CDs and DVDs if you have a SuperDrive.
I am not sure, but I don't think Office for Mac has Access.
If the games you choose are compaible most of the machines can handle if you get good engough graphics.
When I needed to change all my songs to Mac I used iPodRip although I think it will just copy over.
There is a program which lets you copy all your fles from PC2Mac, I will try and find it for you!
I would wait and see what happens when the MacBook comes out soon! Maybe a few new features for what you want.

OP
L

lil

1. A breeze.

2. You will be able to program in Java, C and C++ using XCode but you won't be able to access Win32 APIs for obvious reasons. You could use BootCamp to dual boot Windows XP for this kind of purpose if you need Win32 API access. HTML, yes with ease. MS Office for the Mac is composed of Word, Excel, PowerPoint ans Entourage (Outlook), no Access. You can however access MS Access databases (.mdb) via ODBC however.

3. Those will run on the Macintosh and also in Windows via BootCamp (the dual boot software)

4. I do not have an iPod but I'd anticipate you would need to ensure iTunes is set to manually update first, plug in your iPod, back up your songs, maybe reset it and then copy all your backed up songs into iTunes and then you can turn on automatic update. I'm guessing though as I don't have an iPod.

5. Easily via Samba. You can either type the IP address of the PC on the Macintosh and access it, or use the network browser. Or you can use Windows to browse to the Macintosh e.g.: Start>Run: \\192.168.0.1\mymacintosh or use My Network Places/Network Neighbourhood.

All you need is windows set up for File and Printer sharing, and Mac OS X set up for Windows Sharing (a checkbox in the Sharing prefs).

As to whether you should, well, go and play with one if you haven't already and see how you feel. If you will be using Windows mostly, maybe consider another PC, otherwise if you wish to really get into OS X, then a Macintosh is well worth considering especially as the new Intel ones can now run Windows natively.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you don't have a laptop and need one, then any computer should be able to do those things be it a Mac or a Windows machine.

If you already have a laptop and your current setup does all of that and you have no problems with it, then no there is no reason for a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
JarLeachJim said:
I apologize if this question is beaten to the ground on this site. I really want to switch and I'm not sure if I should. These are the things I will be doing:
1. Burning/Copying CD'd and DVD's (Can you copy CD's and DVD's seamlessly on Mac's)
You may need third party burning software such as Toast 7 Titanium, It does all what you do in Windows environment.

JarLeachJim said:
2. I'm a grad student working on my MCIS, so I need to have Java, C/C++, VB, HTML, MS Office (for Access DB) IDE'S/studios on my machine. (Obviously I'll need a laptop)
You can either use XCode2 or Terminal for programming with Java, C/C++ and many other programming languages. There are plenty of HTML and PHP editors also available which run native on Intel Macs. If you want to use MS products other than Office you may need Virtual PC. Virtual PC is a program that emulates Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT/XP, as well as IBM OS/2, or Linux on a Macintosh personal computer, assuming it's equipped with a sufficiently fast microprocessor. With Virtual PC installed, a Mac can show the desktop for the emulated operating system on one part of the display or it can take up the entire screen. You can run any program that will run under the other operating systems on "regular" (Intel microprocessor-based) PCs. Virtual PC works by converting Intel x86 instructions into PowerPC instructions on the fly.

JarLeachJim said:
3. Simple gaming. I don't want a gaming machine, but I'd to play a few games ala WoW, Civ 4...
Yes. No problem at all.

JarLeachJim said:
4. I have about 2300 songs on my PC in my itunes folder. Is it easy to convert my windows ipod to a mac ipod
Why do you want to convert? Import your Windows iTunes folder on to your Mac and you are ready to enjoy the music. There are couple of formats which may require codecs but finding them won't be a problem.

JarLeachJim said:
5. I have a wireless network, Can I transfer files from my two PC's to my new mac
No problem. Once sharing is enabled your Mac will automatically detect the PC and you can read/write files off the Mac.

You will surely enjoy Macs. They are stable, User friendly and powerful. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
1. Super Easy

2. I don't think it comes with Office for macs.

3. WoW, yes you can do that on intel macs. Civ 4, nope. What you can do is if you're getting an Intel Mac, use Boot Camp to install Windows and game from there (that's what I'm doing with all of my beloved games like Rome: Total War)

4. Yeah that's easy. You just run the iPod updater and hit "restore" and your mac will format your iPod for you.

5. Should be able to

Definately go for the Mac if that's what you're gonna be doing. I suggest the MBP simply for the gaming aspect, it's SO worth it. But, if you're a bit money-consious, You'll have to give up gaming for the PowerBook or iBook. But definately go for a mac. You'll be glad you did.

Reaction score
Access DB started it's life as an MSDOS app, and was later proted to 95/NT(=XP) so a mac version is unlikely. Filemaker is a fantastic DB app though, but I don't think/know whether you'll be able to use it for your purposes.

Coverting a WinPod to a MacPod is easy. Plug your iPod, run the iPod Updater and let it clean out your ipod and mac it mac formatted.
That's all. In fact, I could use the WinPod a long time because it was fat32, which OS X understands, but then I had to update the firmware and it didn't let me unless I formatted the iPod for Mac.

Reaction score
Get a PC, then you wont be restricted.
Unless you know you can get everything you need from a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
macreamer said:
Get a PC, then you wont be restricted.
Unless you know you can get everything you need from a Mac
Well that was just the most helpful thing you could have added.
JarLeachJim said:
It has and your forgiven.
JarLeachJim said:
Popcorn and Toast by Roxio for DVD's. MacTheRipper for ripping DVD's.
JarLeachJim said:
There is no Access in Office for Mac. I think someone said something about FileMaker. I don't use either one so I'm not really qualified on that.
JarLeachJim said:
Boot Camp. Unless you want to buy new games.
JarLeachJim said:

You can use your network to transfer your iTunes library or any other files you want just by selecting a few sharing options on either side.
JarLeachJim said:
What do you guys/gals think. Based on what I'll be using the machine for, should I take the plunge into the world of macintosh? I need a laptop for school so is there a mac laptop that fits the above criteria?
Currently only the MacBook Pro (MBP) but shortly we should see the MacBook (MB)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I would have to go with D3v1L8oy on this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.