Malware help needed please - medpse.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Broken
Hi

I appear to have some malware on my MacBook Pro, but I'm not able to find or remove it. When browsing - either in Chrome or Firefox - it frequently pops up ad windows in the bottom corner, and redirects to other pages via medpse.com.

I'm running OS X 11.5. It seems to only be affecting one user - when I switch to other users it doesn't affect them.

I'm not really sure where to start looking. I've tried looking in the activity monitor and can't see anything obviously suspect (but there are a gadozen things running that I don't recognise). Likewise, nothing in the applications folder that looks wrong.

Googling "medpse.com" brings up a bunch of pages saying it's dangerous malware, and telling me to download various security software, but none of them are sources I know or trust.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Download, install, and run Malwarebytes for Mac

Just in case something redirects you to another site the url is https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Did that fix the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
The MalwareByte for Mac may, or may not remove the medpse...

Based on that this adware only impacts one user account on the Mac in question, removing it manually is also a viable alternative. Both Firefox and Chrome have the option to reset the browsers to default state. Doing so removes all addons/extensions that not part of of the default installation. For that matter, Safari also has the reset option.

Reaction score
I'm listening too. because I have malware too, called Mc Keeper. he looks so helpful then a post rom apple fix here and it's a hoax 150$ or so long after an hr. of wasted time.
I used an old malware and it got stuck , so i'm uploading a new opener and every btand new . it's taking a long time.
And thank you because I know you are a thoughtful good bunch who waaant me to stop hating this computer and figure it out. before the grave.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Barb:

If you have installed MacKeeper, it's very difficult to remove and can not be removed by using the Malwarebytes app. Please follow this guide to get rid of MacKeeper.

Reaction score
I thought I was good but really stuck now there is a post that sez r8.zneobthoo..... sez install video player to cont. and it won't turn off .this is part of mac clean that had 4 components. I thought it was gone as no more icon on top of screen or in launch. I think the HD Video link is off
Back to here again . I have replied several times and it gets lost. two copies of chrome are running. This may be how I got cancer. If it was I'd sue Mr. Clean happily. O my thought pattern left.
Well i was asking do I need to load this to quite it.
When you said user profile to get to library. I didn't see one but I got to library I couldn't open docs, only system can read and write.
Mr. clean is not showing in library or apps.
Please more advice. Thanks to all beforehand
Barb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.