Need to know about the different IMACS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
I was planning to give my wife this IMAC G5 20' with intel and looking into getting the IMAC G5 20' without intel...can you tell me if there willbe a big difference between the 2 and would I be disappoint? I don't plan to install windows in either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
First off, the naming scheme refers to processors. The iMac G5 and iMac Core Duo are different machines.

As for what you should get her, I suggest the new iMac Core Duo. It is much faster than the G5. However, there are some issues.

Apple has always used a processor architecture different from what Windows PCs use, called the POWER architecture, whereas Windows machines have always used the x86 architecture. I'll spare you the technical details (even I don't get all of them), but basically, they're different, really different.

When Apple introduced the Intel chips (which have an x86 architecture), this created a big problem, as older chips (such as the G5) ran the POWER architecture.

Because of this, the majority of the applications designed for the Mac won't run on Intel processors unless emulation is involved. This is where Apple's Rossetta application comes in. Rossetta emulates the PowerPC architecture (how, I don't know) and allows most applications to run on the Intel chips. Although Apple has ported most of it's own applications (OS X itself run perfectly fine, as well as all pack-in applications), some applications (most notably Photoshop) don't run at full speed on the Intel machines, as they aren't written to run on the x86 architecture.

Still though, I strongly recommend the Core Duo. The speed increase is well worth it, not to mention that almost all applications will be able to run at full speed and not need emulation by the end of the year (these are what are called "Universal Binary" applications. These applications include binary's to run on both Intel and PowerPC machines).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
Thanks...I think I will get another one with the intel...I just saw one that was cheap to get without intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
If price is an issue, the G5 will do fine for most uses, but if you can, I recommend the Intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
If I may ask a question along these same lines. I bought my wife an iMac Intel and I'm hoping to run the current Mac Office 2004, my question is, will it run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Yeah Office 2004 will run, but it will run in rosetta (a program that allows Power apps to run on Intel chips) and will be a little slow when loading and closing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
BlindingLights said:
Yeah Office 2004 will run, but it will run in rosetta (a program that allows Power apps to run on Intel chips) and will be a little slow when loading and closing it.

Thanks, and I take it Rosetta come pre-installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Yep, Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot it it wasn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Go with the Intel Core Duo, it has a much better outlook into the future, as well as more exspandability. Plus it runs cooler, faster, and more energy efficient, a win win win.
You woiuld be dissapointed it you were to go with the G5 .

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
dimagex20 said:
Go with the Intel Core Duo, it has a much better outlook into the future, as well as more exspandability. Plus it runs cooler, faster, and more energy efficient, a win win win.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
dimagex20 said:

I purchased an iMac G5 in December, 3 weeks before the Intels debuted. I certainly wouldn't call it a disappointment!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
dimagex20 said:

Just so you know, this is a complete lie lol. You won't be dissapointed AT ALL if you got the G5, yeah its not as fast as the Intel Core Duo, and obviously the Intel is more futureproof (even though the PPC's will be supported for many years), but its still a very good machine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.