• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need to un-install

P

pillroller66

I would like to know how to remove a program from my computer when the un-installer is corrupt. I am running Mac OS 10.4.6 on a 12” powerbook (867 PPC, 640 MB, 60GM). The program is ViaVoice for Mac OS X. When I click on the un-installer in the utilities folder of ViaVoice or from the utilities folder on the installation disk I get the following message: "NotUserwillDelete" and I am unable to click on anything except “cancel”.

ViaVoice has just become corrupt in the last week and it started by not recognizing that the microphone was plugged in (no startup) or giving the message “microphone is been (Sic) used exclusively by another application”. I have tried to re-install, but some of the components are not being overwritten with the install. Additionally, the console for ViaVoice is grayed out and once I attempt to open the program, it will not respond and I cannot get rid of it without a restart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Try dragging the whole App over to the trash, it usually gets the job done for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
unless it required an installer and has files scattered, then use appzapper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I usually just delete the app, then search for any sibling files usually in one of the libraries... prefs, application support...

Reaction score
Or to ensure you don't miss any files, run a Cmd-F search for ViaVoice, and right-click to the trash everything it finds. If a file won't be trashed, follow it's pathway shown at the bottom of the search box and trash it where it resides. In that case, you'll have to type in your password in the popup to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Yeah, drag/drop it into the trash, unless it came with an uninstaller, then use programs mentioned above.

Then, hit command+space bar and search the app's name and move anything else left over from the dl into your trash. Empty your trash and you'll be good.

Reaction score
Get yourself AppZapper. IT's a great program for just zapping Apps out of your computer. I got so annoyed with virtual PC infesting my computer (somehow all MS Software behaves badly) and got it all cleaned out with appzapper.

OP
J

jigdiddler

ViaVoice for Mac & OS 10.04.6

Hi,
Unfortunatly the problem with VV is something to do with the 10.4.6 update.

I have found that you can make VV quit by launching the VV Setup Assistant, selecting "Analyze My Voice" and then Quitting VV Setup Assistant. This brings back the red x button on Voice centre allowing you to close it. Of course, this is not much help with the main problem! The IBM VV website (support.nuance.com) is as much use as lipgloss on pig over this matter.

I too would very much apprciate help with this as I do not want to have to "Downdate" my system (which I Understand does get VV working again).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Graphite said:
I usually just delete the app, then search for any sibling files usually in one of the libraries... prefs, application support...

Well, I hope that's the proper way because that's what I am doing ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.