Mac Pro cannot read disk

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have read a few posts about attaching an external HD via USB and getting messages that the drive is not readable. I am throwing in a curve ball into the equation.
I just bought an Apple-refurbished Mac Pro (not MacBook Pro) because I found my iMac too slow. The peripherals I mention here worked on the iMac just fine. The Pro was not able to recognize my existing Apple KB unless I plugged it into a hub. Apple attached the KB to their computer and it failed to work, so they replaced the KB. When I got the Pro up and running I found it was frequently disconnecting from my external USB hard drive, though my iMac didn't have that problem. As the enclosure was a cheap one, I thought it was the enclosure (though, as I say, it worked on the iMac), so I bought another enclosure. When I inserted the same drive in the new USB enclosure and attach it do the Pro, I get an error message saying that the drive could not be read and needs to be initialized. I removed the HD from the new enclosure and put it into the old enclosure, and it works, and after sitting there, with the cover off the enclosure for 24 hours, has not disconnected a single time.

Any ideas why the old enclosure would have been losing the connection so frequently? It wasn't ejected; it just disconnected.
Any ideas why the new enclosure causes the error message saying I need to initialize it, but the drive can be read when in the old enclosure?
After Apple ran their diagnostics on the Pro in the Apple Store, I now notice a small icon of the earth while it is booting up, before the Apple logo appears. I didn't notice this before. Is that an issue?

Whew
Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer!
John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry, our crystal ball is out of order..... What Mac Pro (year and model)? What version of OS X? And be as descriptive as you can to what's going on, and no abbreviations that make sense to you but not to others. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.