imac: which one?

P

platinum

hi

i was on these forums a while ago when i got a mac mini, and i went back to windows. but i just built my pc, and even though it has lots of good hardware (amd64 3700, 1gb ram, 200gb hdd, etc), i miss the mac!!!!

anyway, long story short, i want an imac. the design is practical, and well thought out, and i miss the OS. but i have a question:

there are currently 2 types of imacs available, the intel and the G5 one. which is better? apple spent a lot of time and hype and fuss about how wonderful the G5 was, and now the intel is many times faster??? it doesn't make sense. my question is,

which one:
will have the best support for software in the future?
boots faster?
runs programs faster (like internet, garage band, etc)?
has more overclocking potential?

i'm also serious about that last one, so don't hold back on your comments and answers!!!

thx a bunch, and it's great to be back

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
As far as I can see from the Apple store the new Intel iMac is the only iMac available. It is NOT possible to get a new G5 iMac from Apple. They have been phased out. There may still be some resellers with stock but Apple themselves have none to sell.

OP
P

platinum

the local apple store here still has some imac G5's, but they are pushing the intels a lot. what makes the intel ones so much better? like i said, apple was fussing about how wonderful the G5 was, and now the intel is soooo much better? which one should i get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
platinum said:
there are currently 2 types of imacs available, the intel and the G5 one. which is better? apple spent a lot of time and hype and fuss about how wonderful the G5 was, and now the intel is many times faster??? it doesn't make sense. my question is,

which one:
will have the best support for software in the future?
boots faster?
runs programs faster (like internet, garage band, etc)?
has more overclocking potential?

i'm also serious about that last one, so don't hold back on your comments and answers!!!

thx a bunch, and it's great to be back

yes apple hyped the g5 a lot and it is extremely wonderful i am using it right now and cant even hit the potential of my dual 2.7ghz powermac. but technology happened and the new intels are better, that is the way technology rolls. product a comes out and "OMG THIS IS THE BESTEST EVER" and then product b comes out and "THIS IS NOW THE BEST AND THIS MUCH BETTER THAN PRODUCT A"

best future support is the intels because by the end of the year there will be no more ppc computers made by apple.

which runs programs faster? universal programs will run faster on the intels, non-universal programs will have to be emulated and may run slower until a universal or intel only version is released

boots faster? they both boot fast

overclocking? if you are going to buy a g5 make sure to buy two of them. this is why: once you overclock your g5 and screw it up so bad the computer is rendered useless you will have another g5 sitting there that you will not attempt to overclock :) overclocking an intel machine? i dont think anyone really knows too much about that yet bc it is a relatively new processor

-chris

OP
P

platinum

that's the thing:

i've heard some stuff about rosetta, and it making even OS X itself run slower, and more spinning rainbow wheels than it should. is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
platinum said:
that's the thing:

i've heard some stuff about rosetta, and it making even OS X itself run slower, and more spinning rainbow wheels than it should. is this true?

i havent used one yet.

to me it appears to all be a little waiting game, you have to wait a few extra seconds for things to happen (if it is even that long) and you have to wait a little while for all the companies to create universal applications

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Rosetta does not make OSX itself run slower, but the PPC Applications that use Rosetta to run will be noticeably slower. Eventually everything will be Universal and will run natively on both PPC and Intel Macs. There is no way the Intel Macs are 3x faster than the G5's., BUT with Universal Apps the Intel is faster though. If you want a machine that is more Future Proof though, go with the new Intel. I have that last iMac G5 2.1 Ghz with iSight. It's very fast, but the future for Macs is with the Intel Processors.

Over-clocking anything as thin as the iMac G5 or Intel Core Duo would not be recommended. I am sure you would overheat it and for sure void your warranty.

OP
P

platinum

alright./...

i guess intel is the way to go. thx everyone. you've helped a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Get an intel for sure. I would go with the 20" as its a bit faster and a bigger screen - your paying a bigger price anyways so mise as well fork out a bit more and have it be even more worth it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Well, I can answer ever question with one word, Intel. The Intel has so much potential and speed over the G5. Go with the Intel, lovin mine!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love my Intel iMac 20".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
which one:
will have the best support for software in the future? Intel easily
boots faster? Intel easily- 20 seconds vs. 72 seconds
runs programs faster (like internet, garage band, etc)? Intel unless the program's been scripted for G5 chips, then it'll run Rosetta, and that changes from program to program. Overall, Intel
has more overclocking potential? Not exactly sure, never asked...

Go Intel, but get the 17", the 20", from what I've seen, has had a LOT of problems whereas the 17" runs smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What problems with the 20"? I have one with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IDK but I've seen users here who have bought 6 20" iMacs, and all of them in some way or another were defective.

Reaction score
$1,299 for REFURBISHED 17" G5 iMac? that's ridiculous, you can get a 17" NEW Intel iMac for that price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, before I got my iMac, I looked around on some websites, I think Macworld did something on Intel vs. G5, and the Intel ran up to twice as fast on apps (except for PowerPC apps). A set up G5 took 72 seconds from the time you hit the power button to the time you could actually function the computer. OS X took around 20 (I timed my iMac, mine's consistantly between 20-24 seconds)

OP
P

platinum

that refurbished one is in canadian dollars.

in canada, the 17 inch intel imac is $1499 (canadian dollars)

and the refurbished ones are fine. they aren't any less quality than new ones. they're tested just as much if not, more than new ones.

anyway, i'm probably gonna get an intel, but i'm still not sure. i'm gonna have to go to the local apple store and see for myself which one runs faster in native applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I bought my Intel Core Duo iMac 17", and I have had no problems what so ever. I guess those buyers are just unlucky in their purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.