Streaming video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
I have a QuickTime movie that I want to post on a discussion board. It's about 15 minutes long, and the full size .mov file is about 1.3 GB. How would I go about making it so that others can just click a link and have it streamed to them?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Not sure how to stream, but you definitely need to compress that file. If you want people to be able to stream the file, basically they need to be able to download 1.3 GB in the 15 minute length of time your mov runs. Maybe encoded to about 300kbps?

Reaction score
Well 1.5 GB for 15 minutes sounds like DV Material. Quicktime can export your movie for "Web" which will make it about small enough. The trouble is you'll need to host it on some webspace, and your video can be a bit big to upload. But actually you shold be able to compress to under a 100MB and still have a good video quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Well if you have an ADSL2 connection you could potentially stream that (1.67MB/second). Really you just have to compress it much better. While I'm not a huge fan of quicktime compression techniques they will do wonders on a file of that size.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that export for Web thing. I have a high speed connection, but I don't know about the people who would be downloading the file. As for web hosting, I have about 13.7 MB available on Tripod, but I don't think that will be enough.
What about a flash movie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I'll host it for you, pm me [email protected] and I'll give you some FTP details, and I will explain it all for you.
Thanks
Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.