friggin x11

S

slicpinoy

i upgraded my ibook to the x11 - and I am trying to get open office on my pc and when I try to install open office, nothing happens...I am assuming that the x11 file is not working properly or not installed, is there a way I can properly install open office, I am a new user to apple...just to let all know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
have you tried the faq section of the openoffice.org website?
-chris

OP
S

slicpinoy

yes I have, it says to go to the applie upgrade portion of the site, and get the x11, and it states to show me the xfree86, which is similar and I try to run it and it still does nothing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
what version of os x do you have? 10.0, 10.1 10.2 10.3 or 10.4?
also what version of open office are you trying to install?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
been here right?
-chris

OP
S

slicpinoy

I just bought it and it made an update like 2 days ago, so I assume the latest its the ibook g4 and the latest openoffice 2.0. the stable one

OP
S

slicpinoy

i downloaded it from that site you have there, then that didnt work cause it wont let me install it sayin that I have a newer version on my mac, so I tried to get the xfree86 file, and no luck with that, and when I did it form the CD same thing it wont let me install as it says there is a newer version already installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
aim: bl1ngbl1ngg4
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use the X11 off the Install DVD in the Aditional Software folder. Will get you a path later after dinner if you don't figure it out before then.

OP
S

slicpinoy

well I did use it off the dvd and it wont let me cause it says there is a newer version on my mac, i guess from the update - talking to coach z on aim

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
slicpinoy said:
I will post my update

Ok do that. I am free now if you are still having issues. There are 2 installers on the OSX DVD that sometimes confuse people. Only one will work.

There was a thread here on X11 were we solved it for a user. I will try and find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i figured out that his openoffice file was still in the dmg and suggested he drag it to his apps folder and then try to run it
-chris

OP
S

slicpinoy

I have dragged dropped the openoffice.org 2.0 into the application folder, it took 1 min to copy all files, and the same thing happened, it pop up in the system tray, and then it disappears after 30secs...and after that nothing happened

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just fired up my new iBook. It's the same one you have. Will get back to you so hang in there a little longer.

Where did you download Open Office 2.0 for OSX? I keep running into the old version.

I found it. Be back soon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok as far as the X11 install, put in your Main Gray Install DVD that came with your iBook. When it opens a window, Scroll down untill you fine the Optional Installs package. Click it and when it comes up, agree to everything and tell it the drive to install to then it will give you a selection menu, click and expand applications and just check X11. That should install. If not let me know. Open Office is still downloading and I will try it as soon as it's done.

EDIT, Ok got the Open Office 2.0 DMG. Mounted it, dragged the program to applications, clicked it, it came up, brought up X11 then loaded and ran. You need that version of X11 in the Optional Installs file. If you follow all the steps I outlined and it STILL will not let you install this X11, let me know and I will figure out how to zap whatever X11 you have on your system. Please let me know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this is my new vote:
openoffice.org faq section said:
The installer is crashing at the splashscreen!
If you get a crash, you may have a corrupted Java shared archive. Try creating a new user account on the machine. Restart and login as that user and then run the OpenOffice.org installer. If this workaround does not solve the crash, then you will need to use the Panther only or X11 based installers.

ZeroG is working on addressing this problem.

g'luck guys
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
if all else fails, check this: http://softwarefor.org/ it is called software for starving students and will help you install the following programs:
Active Timer
Adium
Audacity
Azureus
Blender
BZFlag
Carbon Copy Cloner
Cashbox
Celestia
ClamXav
Crack Attack!
Cyberduck
Desktop Manager
Enigma
Fink
Firefox
Freemind
Genius
GLtron
Graphviz
ImageBurner
iShred
md5App
NVU
OpenOffice.org
Orator
Pastor
POV-Ray
SimpleWget
Smultron
Stellarium
Tux Paint
Tux Racer
Tweak Freak
TypeTrainer4Mac
VideoLAN Client
VoodooPad Lite
Witch

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
this is my new vote:

g'luck guys
-chris

Works here. I still feel his X11 is the wrong one. If he tries the above it should work. Thanks for all your input also and that news in case everything else fails!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.