Help with "os x needs to repair library to run applications"!

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some help with a major issue I'm having with my iMac. I recently purchased a used iMac and it was working well until I decided to go ahead and start changing the admin name and eventually the "home directory". I probably should not have done that because when I restarted I was hit with a box that said "os x needs to repair library to run applications". I put in my username and password and nothing happens, the box just keeps appearing. I'm at a point now where I can't even open any applications (I'm writing this on a different computer) or even save a screenshot because it says I don't have permission.Also, for some reason I can't right-click... Is there anyway to fix this without losing the installed apps? The preinstalled apps were a huge selling point for me and if they can't be brought back it'd be a fairly big loss for me. That being said, I'd take a loss of the apps if I could just get the computer functioning properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

btw, its a 27" 5k (Mid 2015) iMac running Yosemite 10.10.2

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Karl. Welcome to Mac-Forums.

At this stage, I probably have more questions than solutions so I ask your forbearance.

A recently purchased, used Mac and your comment "The preinstalled apps were a huge selling point for me", suggest to me that you might be running the Mac with apps and so on installed by the previous user?

Now, there is a problem with that, should it be the case, because installed/purchased apps are linked with the Apple ID, which would obviously be different from your Apple ID.

So here's a bunch of questions - sorry!:

When you got the Mac, had the previous owner wiped the Mac and reset it as if it were brand new?

Did you create an Apple ID of your own?

When you say it was "working well" before your tinkering, was this under your own Apple ID? This is linked to the question above; but I'm trying to get a feel for how the Mac was behaving and under what conditions it was running.

Then you changed the "Admin name". This suggests to me — could be wrong — that it might not have been running under your own name and ID prior to this?

Then you did things with the Home Directory.

Well, we're here to help, not lecture, so enough said. Not a good idea.

Depending on the answers to my questions — apologies again — we can take this forward.

In the last resort, it is possible to use the Recovery Partition of Yosemite either to reinstall Yosemite alone or to erase the HDD and then reinstall the OS. In that event, apps that don't come with the OS would be lost and any apps that you didn't own (ie were installed under another ID will have to be repurchased).

So you will get your Mac back. But before we go down that route, some answers please.

Ian

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey, IWT thanks for replying

Now, there is a problem with that, should it be the case, because installed/purchased apps are linked with the Apple ID, which would obviously be different from your Apple ID.
yeah I'm guessing the apps could be linked to the previous owners apple ID. We had switched the admin name to my own when I bought it but I don't recall changing the apple ID. I suppose that could be a problem huh? We had made a second admin account with my own apple ID and discovered the apps weren't present so we just decided to use his original admin account, and change the name and password. (more info: when I deleted the second admin account I was then unable to open any apps or save the screenshots as I described in my first post)

When you got the Mac, had the previous owner wiped the Mac and reset it as if it were brand new?
Nope

When you say it was "working well" before your tinkering, was this under your own Apple ID? This is linked to the question above; but I'm trying to get a feel for how the Mac was behaving and under what conditions it was running.
the tinkering was done under the original owners account (with the now changed admin name &password) and therefore his apple ID I assume.

Then you changed the "Admin name". This suggests to me — could be wrong — that it might not have been running under your own name and ID prior to this?
yeah, so the admin name & password was probably one of the first things changed when I was still at the original owners studio and it worked fine. The ID was never changed from what I recall so it was under his still

Then you did things with the Home Directory.

Well, we're here to help, not lecture, so enough said. Not a good idea.

I know, :( :Shouting: I'm kicking myself over needing to change something so miniscule. Stupid move on my part.

Something interesting to note is that some of those apps the first owner installed are still in the applications folder and just been removed from the dock. The others have just straight up disappeared from the computer.

Anyways, thanks again for even replying. It is much appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently purchased a used iMac...

The preinstalled apps were a huge selling point for me and if they can't be brought back it'd be a fairly big loss for me.

Whenever I purchase a "new to me" used Apple computer I ALWAYS "nuke & pave"…basically I erase and reformat the computers storage…and install a fresh copy of the Mac OS. This way any problems or garbage that may exist from the previous owner are eliminated.

Purchasing a used computer with a pre-installed apps from the previous owner is not good business. Firstly all those apps are licensed to the previous owner (thus not your apps & not paid for by you). And secondly…if you ever try to update the apps they will be locked-down immediately by the developer (and you will never be able to use them again).

Never pay extra for installed apps (if applicable). It's just a ploy by a seller to get you to purchase their computer. Only pay the seller a fair price for the computer itself…and never anything extra for the apps.

Wipe the computer…do a fresh install of the OS…problems solved.:)

- Nick

p.s. Just trying to help. Not meaning to sound like a "Dad Lecture"!;)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Karl

Thank you for your kind words. We are all here to help.

As Nick, in post #4, said: the way to sort this for good is to "nuke & pave", which means (in case you are not sure, no offence), that you erase the HDD and reinstall the OS.

I alluded to this in my first post. If you need any help in achieving this, please ask. Rather than risking an insult to your intelligence by listing the exact details of what to do, let's leave it to you to ask. That's what we are here for.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if all this great software include MS Office or Photoshop etc. they are piurated software which is often used to make it look great. Without the install DVD nor the activation code it is doomed to be erased. Doomed I say doomed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's not get carried away with piracy or pirate bay guys. Lots of folks unknowingly purchase used computers that are loaded with expensive software such as MS Office or Photoshop thinking that now the apps are theirs to keep. Nick advised the OP to do the right thing. So let's leave it there.

OP
K
Reaction score
Darn, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but oh well, such is life. The installed apps were more of a bonus on top of relatively large discount that I got for what is only a month and a half old iMac. However, yes, photoshop AND microsoft office WERE installed as well as a few music production apps. I figured they were legit since I was buying the computer from an engineer of a relatively successful music studio. Maybe so, maybe no. I've done a total reset before so thanks for offering still. Anyways, thanks for all the help guys. I debated even asking because it was a dumb mistake on my part and internet citizens are usually not the friendliest but you guys proved me wrong. Thanks again. It really is very much appreciated. :) Till next time!

Reaction score
You can always use a free equivalent to MS office, like 'LibreOffice', to save your cash from defiling Bill Gates' bank account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you will get what you paid for. Do not expect compatability. Folks do not seem to realise MS Office was first developed for Macs before PCs any any developer is entitled to earn a dollar from their copyright material.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I figured they were legit since I was buying the computer from an engineer of a relatively successful music studio. Maybe so, maybe no.

They probably were legit for the original owner of the computer. They're licensed to whomever originally purchased the software. In some cases the software licenses can be passed to a new owner. The specific process for doing so will be outlined in the license agreement(s).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
They probably were legit for the original owner of the computer. They're licensed to whomever originally purchased the software. In some cases the software licenses can be passed to a new owner. The specific process for doing so will be outlined in the license agreement(s).

I'm glad someone finally mentioned the legal software transfer process that's normally available — between both accepting parties.

The latter is generally where things fall apart… :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.