El Capitan issues

Reaction score
Upgraded to El Capitan and am having the following issues. When the computer goes into the sleep mode, I used to hit a key and the screen came back. Now I usually get the following message "Server not found" I have to hit the try again button before everything comes back.

I tried for 1 to 2 weeks to finish my registration on this site. I would get the email but could not get into the URL because it wasn't highlighted. By accident, I tried the activation with my Blackberry Passport and it worked. The URL was highlighted in blue and now I am registered.

Any help would be appreciated on the "sleep" issue.

Thanks Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What is the model and year of your mac - just for references. Also do you know what server it is referring to? Is this mac joined/bound to a work network - and if so what type of network is it, Windows Server, OS server, etc.

Also in your System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> is Wake for network access checked? Are you connecting your mac to server shares? Are you sharing your files from your mac?

Lisa

OP
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I just got back in from work. This is a personal computer, no network or anything fancy. The computer is about 8 years old, a 20" i Mac, 2.4 Ghz. I just went in to System Preferences and checked the Wake for network access. It was not checked before. Maybe that was the issue. As far as the server, the message tells me it can't connect to the server of whatever web site I was at. It tells me to make that the address I am trying to connect to is correctl

As you can tell, all things electronic are foreign to me. Maybe the energy saver was what I needed to change. Will see what it does now. Thanks again. Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay, thanks for the clarification. The server message is your browser telling you it cannot find or connect to the server for the website you asked for. This could be caused by a variety of issues.

One could be that is the web server you requested is down - not functioning.

Another could be what I suspect is happening. Are you leaving a webpage open and letting your iMac go to sleep so that when you wake it up the webpage is open? Or possibly just waking it up and immediately opening a browser window? Either way I suspect your wifi (or wired connection) is just not waking up fast and they do have to "talk" and say, "Hey, I am now here and wake again" before hitting websites. The change in the energy saver might do the trick. I would also make sure you have all the updates to El Capitan. The most up-to-date version is 10.11.4.

Keep in mind this is an 8 year old machine and like all things, will get old and slowdown.

Lisa

OP
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. As I stated, I am not overly computer literate. I do have the proper version of El Capitan. It just dawned on me this morning that I am using Firefox 46.0.1 as my browser and that is where it is happening. As I said, too soon old and too late smart. I will try using Safari on the weekend and see what happens and will keep you informed. Thanks again. Al

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For what this is worth. I have El Capitan on also on a late 2007 iMac 2.4 Ghz. Every once in a while when I wake it and open safari it takes a bit before sites will connect. It never happens on my faster newer Macs though.

OP
Reaction score
Tried it using Safari and the same thing happens. At least I know that the issue is not with the browsers but the operating system itself. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem is not with the operating system but the age of the computer. Read Moderator dtravis7 post. Like comparing a ten year old Formula 1 car with a 2016 model. CPU/Graphics required to do ever so much more, stuff not even thought of ten years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the best attitude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried El Capitan on my Early 2008 iMac.

Some nice new features.

Unfortunately, it refused to connect to my NAS - which has all my iTunes files on it - and it did not find my Apple Bluetooth keyboard.
Two fairly serious issues.

Luckily I still have my earlier OS available as well (Lion I think), so not too much of a problem :)

Edit - this seems to be a common problem with El Capitan and NAS Drives. Not fixed yet, but might be possible with a manual connection. I will try that when I get Home today :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Even better. Now it doesn't find the Bluetooth at all :(

Tried rebooting and a full restart. No Bluetooth, even in System Preferences.

It still works fine with Lion - I am using the Bluetooth keyboard to write this, using the Lion partition :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the exact version of El Capitan you have installed? Do you have the latest 10.11.4?? I have that same 2008 iMac and no Bluetooth issues at all. Same with my 2007 iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty sure it is 10.11.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very odd. Another reboot and both Bluetooth and the keyboard are working.

Still no NAS, but that seems to be a known issue :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27", 3.2 GHz, i5, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR 3, R9 M380 2048 MB
In April I bought a new iMac. Upon installing the latest version of El Capitan, 10.11.4, I had the same problem: Bluetooth disappeared and magic mouse/keyboard were dead. Reinstalling didn´t help. Demanded a new machine, and have just experienced exactly the same problem with this new machine, both with 10.11.4 and 10.11.5 which has just been published! Upon restarting the machine yesterday, the Bluetooth icon was back. Very interested in learning why this happens, and what to do to obtain a stable machine. I never had any such problem with the old machine.
Another problem has been that the machine has turned itself off on three occasions, after several hours in sleeping mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you used Migration Assistant or similar to transfer things, then it came along for the ride at the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.