iMac 2011 21.5" 2.7Ghz i5 - UPGRADE - Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 2.7GHz i5 12GB 1TB, iPhone 6, ipad air, ipad 3, macbook air
Hi,

I was wondering if installing a SSHD in place of the stock 1 TB HD and then adding a second SSD drive (maybe 500gb) would be redundant?

I have backed up my things on an external so I could always wipe the stock 1 TB HD and just add the SSD ... but then I wonder if I am nearing the death of the stock hard drive (haven't yet run a hardware test).

I was thinking of upgrading to an i7, do a total of 32GB ram, but now I'm wondering what combo I should do, if any, with the hard drive.

I would like to keep photos and videos off the computer entirely and bring things over as needed and/or use dropbox. My computer has gotten so cluttered over the years I want to make sure I stick to a system that will keep the computer clean and running quickly.

Does this sound worth while or should I just throw in the towel, save up and get something new?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A 2011 iMac is still a very capable machine, however, I wouldn't spend too much money on any upgrades. Forget the upgrade to an i7 since the CPU is hard wired (soldered not socketed) to the logic board. I would not add a second drive to that machine though. A better choice would be to just replace the HHD with a SSD. Adding more memory is an easy do it yourself upgrade and not expensive, however, replacing the hard drive with an SSD requires some work. You also need to read up about replacing the hard drive since you will also need to compensate for the hard drive temperature sensor control otherwise your fans will go full blast. Go to the Mac Sales site for further information about upgrading. www.macsales.com

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 2.7GHz i5 12GB 1TB, iPhone 6, ipad air, ipad 3, macbook air
Thank You!!!

I'm going to research and think on this...

I might:

Add 12GB (2x8gb) Ram for 24GB total
1TB SSD
Cables (thermal sensor, possibly another cable?, and USB to SATA)

I'll work on the i7 part down the road and get another backup drive as needed.
For now, I can work towards this solution and it should keep me afloat and get me back on track, FRESH! - and with minimal to no cost.

Thank you, very much chscag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.