Any other format than m4p from iTunes Music Store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I bought a couple iTunes music store cards for my daughter to be able to buy music online for her mp3 player, but when she gets the song it comes down as an AAC m4p format which her Creative Zen Jukebox cannot use. Her Mac iTunes program works fine with them, but she cannot carry it around in her pocket and her mp3 player is why we bought the cards in the first place - we have the program which allows her Zen to work with her Mac, and she has no problem ripping her cd's to mp3 format in iTunes, just the online music store. Is there somewhere in the iTunes store that she can pick the format to allow her to download them in mp3 format instead (we couldnt find it anywhere but I may be overlooking it), or is there some file conversion program for Mac that we could use to convert them to mp3 format, or did we waste $30 for nothing? I told her not to download anymore until we could figure this out. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Unfortunately music bought in the iTMS will only play back on iPods or iTunes devices (Motorola's Rokr phone).

As a work around you could burn the tracks to a blank CD and then re-import them as regular Mp3 files. If you use a re-writeable CD-RW disc you won't even need to buy more than one disc.

OP
rcltrh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Aptmunich said:
Unfortunately music bought in the iTMS will only play back on iPods or iTunes devices (Motorola's Rokr phone).

As a work around you could burn the tracks to a blank CD and then re-import them as regular Mp3 files. If you use a re-writeable CD-RW disc you won't even need to buy more than one disc.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I'll let her spend her cards and do it that way. Still a lot of trouble for something we legally bought. It's crap like this that makes people turn to file sharing programs or borrowing other people's cds. If I legally buy a song for my own use, I should be able to use it, and not have to go out and buy a new iPod just to do so (after my experience with my son's iPod Shuttle POS that ain't gonna happen - not to mention spending almost $200 on her Creative Zen). Kind of hard to slip your iBook in your pocket to go jogging. Once those card are used up that will be my last music store purchase from Apple. Apple if you're reading this, get a clue! Ridiculous. You'd think apple would want to gain, not lose customers. It would be so easy to like their store - one click on the Mac and you have it. Alas though, once you have it you can't use it. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Ya, but then people wouldn't be buying iPod's, which is Apple's Ca$h Cow right now...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.