Upgrading a Mac Mini Server 4,1 (mid-2010 model)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I recently purchased the above described computer from a well-known second-hand technology retailer for the bargain price of just £185 (I think they must've assumed that it could only be used as a server & so marked-down the price, not realising that it works fine as a full "PC" with the standard version of OS X installed).

It's still in its standard as-originally-shipped configuration; it works perfectly well & is astoundingly slick for a machine running off of a spinning-platter HDD (granted a 7200rpm disk), but it is a little slow starting-up, so I was thinking about increasing the RAM & replacing the main boot HDD with an SSD.

So, my actual question is two-fold:

1. How practical is it to change an internal drive on that model & what special tools will I need?

2. Is there any way to get hold of a legit DMG of the installer for the latest version of OS X so I could just do a fresh install onto the new disk from a USB stick, or will I have to clone the existing HDD onto the new SSD first?

Cheers in advance for any replies/advice ??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. How practical is it to change an internal drive on that model & what special tools will I need?

Here's the prodecure:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Mid+2010+Hard+Drive+Replacement/3113

2. Is there any way to get hold of a legit DMG of the installer for the latest version of OS X so I could just do a fresh install onto the new disk from a USB stick, or will I have to clone the existing HDD onto the new SSD first?

Just download El Capitan (OS 10.11)…and create your own bootable USB stick.:)

Congrats on your purchase.:) I have a 2010 Mac-Mini…the non-server version. Nice little unit.:)

- Nick

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Ah, thank you ?

I'm assuming there's no Master/Slave set-up with SATA connections as there used to be with old IDE cables & so I could make the process slightly easier for myself & just swap-out the lower drive, even if that's not the current boot drive?

Just download El Capitan (OS 10.11)…and create your own bootable USB stick.:)
I've seen before that there is a way to extract a bootable DMG from the upgrade installer, but I'm not sure how one actually does so; have you seen a good guide for that procedure online?

Also, it's already on 10.11.4, so will I have to wait for 10.12.x to be released to get my hands on the installer? (I'm assuming there won't be another point update before that...)

Congrats on your purchase.:) I have a 2010 Mac-Mini…the non-server version. Nice little unit.:)
I was most definitely pleased with my purchase; I actually asked them if it was just for parts & mislabelled as working when I saw it in the window, as couldn't believe how cheap it was! I'd been looking at non-server versions of the 2010 model online & they were runing from £350 to £500!

After I've upgraded it, it'll be a fine replacement for my current PC; which isn't a bad machine by any means (2.3GHz octa-core CPU, 16GB of 1666kHz RAM, a 240GB SSD, & 2GB workstation graphics), but is massively surplus to my requirements now I've finished my degree & can't find any freelance work for love nor money (despite what my university promised would be available) & so I'm going to have to take-up an apprenticeship with a company that'll provide work PCs on site anyway. Also, it's the size of a small suitcase & really clutters-up my room! So, I may as well sell it before it depreciates any further in value...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm assuming there's no Master/Slave set-up with SATA connections as there used to be with old IDE cables…

I don't think this is an issue. Last time I remember hearing about master/slave in terms of Apple computing…was with old Powermac G4 desktops.;)

I've seen before that there is a way to extract a bootable DMG from the upgrade installer, but I'm not sure how one actually does so; have you seen a good guide for that procedure online?

Do a google search with the term "El Capitan bootable USB installer". You'll get a bunch of results. Pick one that is written & understandable in a style you like.:)

Also, it's already on 10.11.4, so will I have to wait for 10.12.x to be released to get my hands on the installer?

No need to wait for OS 10.12 to do this. You should be able to redownload the OS 10.11 (El Capitan) installer…and go from there.:)

I was most definitely pleased with my purchase; I actually asked them if it was just for parts & mislabelled as working when I saw it in the window, as couldn't believe how cheap it was! I'd been looking at non-server versions of the 2010 model online & they were runing from £350 to £500!

Wow…and you got it for £185! Nice!!!:):)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.