• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How Much Would You Pay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR THIS?

System/Model
Power Mac G4 - Sawtooth 500MHZ

A quick overview
• 500 MHz G4 with 1 MB L2 cache
• 1.1 GB RAM memory (PC 100 CL 2)
• 60 GB Ultra ATA hard drive
• CD-R/RW-ROM Drive
• RAGE 128 Pro AGP video Card
• 56k internal modem
• AirPort Ready - (No Airport Card)
• EtherNet Ready/Highspeed Internet
• 4 Port Ether Net Card
• 100MB Zip Drive
• 2 USB Ports
• 3 Fire Wire Ports
• Apple 15inch TFT Display/Flat Screen (2 usb ports in the back)
• Inifinity & PolkAudio Speakers (2 of Each)
• Logitech Cordless KeyBoard
• 7 Plug Surge Protector
• Belkin 4Port USB HUB
• Power Cord
• Mac OS 10.0.4 Installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 - iPod Touch - iPod Video (30GB) - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen - Airport Extreme&Express
ill buy it for 150ish lol :O :O :O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Since it includes the monitor I would go with $400 or so....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I say, 150. I guess I did not give reasoning. Therefore:

A mini can be purchased for around 400, or cheaper on ebay. However it does not have a monitor, it does have a duo core.
This machine, is a 500mhz non dual g4, which means its very old. A single 500mhz g4 has not been sold in 6 years. It does have a 60gb HD, which means it was replaced which is good. Sawtooth to Quicksilver had poor HD's installed. Has alot of RAM, also good. It also has alot of nice ports and extras.

With out those positive features like a monitor and HD I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for it. It is out dated, maybe 6 months ago I would have payed in the 300-400 range. But not with the massive upgrades that have taken place. A G4 is 3 chips ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
A) Before selling, install Mac OS X 10.1.5 and all other updates. To the uninformed, 10.1.5 looks a **** of a lot better than 10.0.4 (well, it actually is...). It's free to.

B) It does include a monitor, larger hard drive, and more RAM, which means it's probably worth a bit more than the ones I've seen go for very little, but I've seen dual-core 1 GHz G4's sell for $600. So I wouldn't expect $300-$400. Probably $200-250. The main issue being, with the new Core Duo Mini's, the G4 Mini's are causing a huge depreciation in value of older G4's.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Graphite said, even 6 months ago that machine sold for a lot more. On Ebay they at one time going for $400-500. Now just the bare machine maybe $250 or so, but that is a nice display. It's worth on Ebay anyway, around $250 just for it. Just saw one sell for that the other day. The one nice thing about the Sawtooth is you can slap a dual 1.8 Ghz Cpu, 1.5GB Ram and 120GB HDD easily.

But then again like Graphite pointed out, it's old. So maybe $300-350 I guess. Hard to say but the monitor does make it worth a bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
dtravis7 said:
Like Graphite said, even 6 months ago that machine sold for a lot more. On Ebay they at one time going for $400-500. Now just the bare machine maybe $250 or so, but that is a nice display. It's worth on Ebay anyway, around $250 just for it. Just saw one sell for that the other day. The one nice thing about the Sawtooth is you can slap a dual 1.8 Ghz Cpu, 1.5GB Ram and 120GB HDD easily.

But then again like Graphite pointed out, it's old. So maybe $300-350 I guess. Hard to say but the monitor does make it worth a bit more.

To be honest, the real limiting factor I have found in mine (mine is an upgraded 400Mhz Sawtooth) is the system bus. It's only 100Mhz. While that is not to bad, it just doesn't cut with some newer Apps or Apps that are processor intensive anymore.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
baggss said:
To be honest, the real limiting factor I have found in mine (mine is an upgraded 400Mhz Sawtooth) is the system bus. It's only 100Mhz. While that is not to bad, it just doesn't cut with some newer Apps or Apps that are processor intensive anymore.

Agreed, that is the reason I recently bought a Digital Audio to mess with. Going to upgrade it as far as it will go and see how it performs. It has 133 Bus and AGP4x. Vicky here uses one and loves it. I only paid $340 for it with a 667Mhz CPU and 1GB RAM.

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
thanks guys for your input. its not my unit, but saw it being sold on a local website from some guy. he was asking 350 for it and basicly I was just wanting to get an idea of a good purchase price, as if I did buy it i would turn around and sell it on ebay or something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Probably around $300. Good deal with the screen.

L

lil

I do indeed love my Digital Audio G4. The Sawtooth can take 2GB actually, but at the expense of it only having 3 PCI slots, not 4.

The Digital Audio is the better machine to go for as it still comes in its excellent graphite case (which I much much prefer to the MDD/Quicksilver cases personally), and as Dennis pointed out, it has enough parts of it (the system bus, the AGP bus speed, good PCI expansion potential etc. to make it worthwhile.

For this reason, I'd say hang out for a Digital Audio G4 if you must have that style of Power Macintosh.

I have the G4 in my signature and its not only a keeper, but apart from the top end PowerMac G5s, it slaps any computer I have had the pleasure—sometimes dubious pleasure of using.

According to XBench, and though heavily weighted because of the fact I run a striped RAID on this system, it runs at around 65% the speed of a Dual PowerMac 2GHz—which is pretty good for a G4 system :flower: For what I do (ie: not games, video or audio)—the G4 is an ideal system for me and a PowerMac G5 would be unnecessary, especially as I love the graphite case so much... yaddy yaddy yaaa :flower: I'll leave it at that hehe

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.