iPad update deleted all photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I updated my iPad2 to IOS 9.3.1 yesterday. It deleted all my photos, bar two random images. I've seen mention of this 'feature' affecting previous updates but thought I'd give the heads-up on the fact that it still happens. Fortunately I did a backup before the update to 9.3.0 and photos taken since that had not copied elsewhere were of little consequence and/or can be recreated. Doesn't stop it being annoying or shocking that Apple creates such malicious code. My iPhone and iPad mini2 were unaffected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I will confess to being guilty of never backing up my iOS devices before I upgrade them and having not been bitten by something like this as of yet. I really do need to get better about the process I use to where it does include a backup and your post reaffirms that.

Android devices are a different story - every time the carrier pushed an OTA update, it wrecked my device and I had to revert to factory settings. Of course, Android also has no good backup solution, so I couldn't have made one if I wanted to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.