Photos ignores folder names on import

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
When importing images to iPhoto an Event would be created for each folder, named with the folder name. Under Photos, folder names are ignored and all images are imported into Moments based on date - which for me is a totally useless concept as the date image was created is irrelevant (*). To retain images by folder name I have to first import into an iPhoto library and then open this library in Photos in order to achieve the required objective, where all my folders now exist as iPhoto Events.

Is there no way that Photos can import images by folder, retaining the folder names?

Does anyone have a workaround for this labourious process?

Please don't suggest I do this manually as there are thousands of images involved.

* Images in a folder may be of one subject or event and could have been created by a number of sources including cameras with no date set, scanned from slides or paper photos (remember those?), sourced from the Internet or sent in by contributors to a project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Where are these photos you're wanting to import and how are you attempting to do it? When I migrated my iPhoto library to Photos, all the old albums, folders and titles were there. There are other views apart from Moments. Go to View > Albums. This is what my Photos screen looks like when I do this.

Screen-Shot-2016-05-07-at-13.46.gif

This may be helpful http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/17/move-iphoto-library-to-photos-mac/

When I put my camera SD card into the MBP, I have my system set up to import straight into Photos where they go to 'Last Import'. Pictures I take on my phone are shared via 'Photo Stream'. All these pictures are stored under 'All Photos'. You can drag to any folder/album from any of these, or highlight and create a new folder/album.

Reaction score
Nope. Photos won't automatically create an album with the name of the folder that the images reside in. You have to select all in the Last Import album, then create an album with that name.

If you've still got iPhoto then I would have thought that doing so in iPhoto and then converting the library for use with Photos would have left the albums as is, with the folder/album names. Or maybe just use a new iPhoto Library, drop in a folder, and then use PowerPhotos to merge that with your Photos Library.

You could also choose to reference the folders from Photos rather than use a managed library that copies them in, but that won't be helpful if you intend to use iCloud Photo Library.

Or use a more capable photo organizer that has tools that do what you want. If you've got a carefully arranged folder system, a browser type photo manager might be far far more useful to you.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Where are these photos you're wanting to import and how are you attempting to do it? When I migrated my iPhoto library to Photos, all the old albums, folders and titles were there. There are other views apart from Moments. Go to View > Albums. This is what my Photos screen looks like when I do this.

View attachment 24291

This may be helpful http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/17/move-iphoto-library-to-photos-mac/

When I put my camera SD card into the MBP, I have my system set up to import straight into Photos where they go to 'Last Import'. Pictures I take on my phone are shared via 'Photo Stream'. All these pictures are stored under 'All Photos'. You can drag to any folder/album from any of these, or highlight and create a new folder/album.

These are images that are in finder folders. They have not (yet) been imported to either photos or iPhoto. When I import such folders into iPhoto I just select the folders and drag to iPhoto.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Photos won't automatically create an album with the name of the folder that the images reside in. You have to select all in the Last Import album, then create an album with that name.

>>Using Last Import and renaming each import means importing one folder at a time and manually renaming. That's not going to happen.<<

If you've still got iPhoto then I would have thought that doing so in iPhoto and then converting the library for use with Photos would have left the albums as is, with the folder/album names.

>>That's the workaround for which I'm looking to replace with something better. Just odd that a useful facility which worked perfectly before has been removed. <<

Or maybe just use a new iPhoto Library, drop in a folder, and then use PowerPhotos to merge that with your Photos Library.

>> One folder at a time is not going to happen <<

You could also choose to reference the folders from Photos rather than use a managed library that copies them in, but that won't be helpful if you intend to use iCloud Photo Library.

>> Same problem <<

Or use a more capable photo organizer that has tools that do what you want. If you've got a carefully arranged folder system, a browser type photo manager might be far far more useful to you.

>> I would rather just use one system for all my images. I already use iPhoto extensively for images taken by myself and my wife and some of these have made it to Photos. I may want to undertake simple editing using iPhoto/Photos or Photoshop Elements as an external editor to these programs.<<

See >><< above

Reaction score
First, using iPhoto you could drop in 2500 folders and then migrage the library to Photos. I had assumed you were familiar with iPhoto. Sorry. This will not work when iPhotos becomes unusable though. Once migrated, use PowerPhotos to merge them.

Second, you can reference folders with subfolders inside. It isn't necessarily one folder at a time. But yes, it still would not create albums automatically.

Third, there are many applications that would be the only one needed for all your images. Lightroom for example, Capture One, Aftershot Pro, etc etc. Photos just does not have very capable organizing tools, as you have seen. Any of these could import your images with all the folder names intact. And do much, much, much more than Photos.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, using iPhoto you could drop in 2500 folders and then migrage the library to Photos. I had assumed you were familiar with iPhoto. Sorry. This will not work when iPhotos becomes unusable though. Once migrated, use PowerPhotos to merge them.

Second, you can reference folders with subfolders inside. It isn't necessarily one folder at a time. But yes, it still would not create albums automatically.

Third, there are many applications that would be the only one needed for all your images. Lightroom for example, Capture One, Aftershot Pro, etc etc. Photos just does not have very capable organizing tools, as you have seen. Any of these could import your images with all the folder names intact. And do much, much, much more than Photos.

I am very familiar with iPhoto which is why the deficiencies in Photos are so frustrating. I will take a look at the other applications you mention. Thank you.

Reaction score
I am very familiar with iPhoto which is why the deficiencies in Photos are so frustrating. I will take a look at the other applications you mention. Thank you.

Yeah. Definitely frustrating to be recommending that someone use the OLD version to make up for the deficiencies in the new one. And it was easier in iPhotos to work around problems. In Photos it's darn near impossible. Even if you get past this hurdle you're right in being concerned about the future. Was Apple so shortsighted they didn't think someone might not scan a bunch of folders to import? sheesh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I will take a look at the other applications you mention. Thank you.

But remember these Apps are Pro User Apps, that cost $100+

If you are looking for Photos Tuts and info, there is a excellent site that used to be called "Aperture Expert" and is now called PhotoApps.Expert When I first started using Aperture. This site was invaluable to me, and when it crossed over to Photos, Joseph did a great job, in keeping with the Tips, Tuts and a great forum, for those wanting to know about the switch, and as well as 'other' Apps to replace Aperture, although I still use Aperture, because I don't like LR one bit.

Third, there are many applications that would be the only one needed for all your images. Lightroom for example, Capture One, Aftershot Pro, etc etc.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Another angle on this would be to create a workflow. The native Automator app could do what you want or at least most of it.
If you don't know what I am referring to; workflow apps create "scripts" that perform actions that would normally involve several actions/steps and or applications and combine them into one action.
You could theoretically create a workflow that captures newly imported photos, numbers or names them sequentially, creates a Moment of the same name in Photos and puts them in it. Really you can create a workflow to do anything you like and it can be run through the app or you can save them as individual apps themselves and place them on the Dock. Big time savers for repetitive tasks.
Many of these popular workflows for automator have already been created by users, especially photographers some of which you will find here; https://photosautomation.com/

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another angle on this would be to create a workflow. The native Automator app could do what you want or at least most of it.
If you don't know what I am referring to; workflow apps create "scripts" that perform actions that would normally involve several actions/steps and or applications and combine them into one action.
You could theoretically create a workflow that captures newly imported photos, numbers or names them sequentially, creates a Moment of the same name in Photos and puts them in it. Really you can create a workflow to do anything you like and it can be run through the app or you can save them as individual apps themselves and place them on the Dock. Big time savers for repetitive tasks.
Many of these popular workflows for automator have already been created by users, especially photographers some of which you will find here; https://photosautomation.com/

Thanks Rod. I've used Automator for a few little things in the past eg file renaming, size changing etc. Not sure how to pick up the folder name to use as a Moment name but no doubt it will give me something to work on the next day it rains. Today is lovely and sunny here, as it usually is in Yorkshire :), so I'm off to the coast and leaving the computer to have a day of peace without me.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Good for you mate, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
They are useful, but unfortunately it would still be a folder by folder action, which isn't what the OP wants.

Photos just isn't folder-friendly.

And yes, the applications I cited could arguably be called "pro" applications since pros use them, but so do many many others. Sort of depends on how much your time is worth.

And there are some dandy free ones: Mylio is free for I think up to 25k images (you wouldn't have to put all of 'em into it). XnViewMP is free and a nice browser, if somewhat quirky. Aftershot Pro is part of a bundle at StackSocial you can get for as low as $17 (it also includes Emulsion, FoldersSynchronizer and Flux BTW).

Or just download the demo of Lr and keep using it after the trial period without paying if you just need organization: http://thedambook.com/lightroom-never-fully-expires/

And enjoy that big yellow thing that suddenly appeared up in the sky....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.