White box on my screen

Reaction score
I have a white box on my screen with a loading circle that never goes away any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have a white box on my screen with a loading circle that never goes away any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the white box from your screen and all will be well.
< facepalm >

We are not magicians mate and it takes 2 hands to clap.....you need to help us help you.
You could at least provide a bit more info.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
E
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 6.03.46 pm.png

This is a photo of the culprit. I apologise for my lack of explanation I can see how vague I was being. I cannot interact with the box whatsoever and I also thought it may have been a program that I could force quit but there is nothing coming up. I have searched to see if I could find a fix myself but have come up empty-handed. It remains after a full shutdown and is visible over everything i open on screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Restart.

What is your OS version?

If you click on the white box, does the application name appear in the upper left next to the Apple logo in the menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you launch ActivityMonitor.app from Applications/Utilities, sort by CPU and can you post a print screen.
That screen belongs to an app so it has to show up in ActivityMonitor.
Second source of info is to launch Console.App from Applications/Utilities and see if there is anything in the logfile.

I would start my investigation there.

Cheers ... McBie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As a follow-up to McBie's excellent suggestions launch Activity Monitor as soon as the Mac boots and sort by CPU use. Whatever app or process that is causing this will likely jump to the top of the list or very near it.

Also, by way of additional information, does this problem happen every time you log into your account? If it does go to the Users and Groups preference pane in Preferences and see what is listed under the login items for your account.

Reaction score
This looks like a Quick Look preview, there may be Quick Look plugins doing the damage. You can check /Library/QuickLook/ or ~/Library/QuickLook/ for any weird looking plugins.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This looks like a Quick Look preview, there may be Quick Look plugins doing the damage. You can check /Library/QuickLook/ or ~/Library/QuickLook/ for any weird looking plugins.
Good catch. I should have thought of that possibility. I use that feature all the time.

Reaction score
Have you tried deleting the /Home/Library/Caches//com.apple.QuickLookDaemon/ folder? Do that and see if it helps. You should restart after removing it. Could be a corrupted cache file causing the problem. You might also get rid of the /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist preference file.

Reaction score
Has this been fixed?

Hey! I am having the same exact thing happen. I used some of the advice on the thread. Did any of it work for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. This thread is three years old, and the version of macOS is 6 versions back. You might be better served by starting a new thread and explaining exactly you are seeing, what Mac, what version of the OS, what did you do just before the problem, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.