MBP17 - grey screen on booting up

Reaction score
I have an Early 2011 Apple MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 8,3 here that is having difficulty starting up. All attempts to start it finish in a blank grey screen.

When normal booting it shows the Apple logo, then the status bar appears and it begins to load. The first half is quick, then it slows and at approximately ¾ of the way, this happens:

It then goes to this:

Initially I followed Macworld's 10 steps to take when your Mac won't start up Guide < http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/steps-take-when-your-mac-wont-start-3423817 / > with the following results:
unable to boot into Recovery Mode from either the Partition or Internet Recovery – it start to load and then ends up in a blank grey screen.
unable to boot into Safe Mode – it loads ¾ of the way and then ends up in a blank grey screen.
unable to boot into Safe Verbose Mode – it starts to load and then ends up in a blank grey screen.
Boots into Single User Mode, have run fsck -fy and "file system was modified", reran and "...appears to be ok", when rebooting there is some error messages and it states "Restart still waiting on Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad".

Have reset the NVRAM three times, no change.
Have reset the SMC twice, no change.

Holding the Option/Alt key down during start up loads up the boot option screen consisting of the options of Macintosh HD, Recovery-10.11.4 and Wifi Choose Network. Selecting either Macintosh HD or Recovery-10.11.4 give the same results. Attempting to choose a network connection using the trackpad results in the screen shifting leftwards and mouse pointer freezing:

A second attempt using the keyboard managed to connect to Wifi networks.

I have removed the hard drive and fitted it into an older MacBook Pro 13 and it booted perfectly. I have also tried the hard drive from the MBP13 in the MBP17 and same issue – therefore unlikely a HDD issue.
I have tried brand new RAM from OWC and no change either – therefore unlikely a RAM issue.

Any ideas please? Is there any way to access a boot log or error log that will indicate what is happening at the ¾ boot point? Could a faulty trackpad be related (the trackpad on this laptop takes more pressure than others to do a left click)?

EDIT: I just randomly decided to give the computer another go. It started all the way into OS X. I then opened Disk Utility and ran First Aid and opened the App Store and downloaded and installed all the Apple Updates. Once done I tried to restart and the issue is back. I believe that this shows that there is something upsetting it during the boot process rather than a major issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an Early 2011 Apple MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 8,3 here that is having difficulty starting up. All attempts to start it finish in a blank grey screen.

EDIT: I just randomly decided to give the computer another go. It started all the way into OS X. I then opened Disk Utility and ran First Aid and opened the App Store and downloaded and installed all the Apple Updates. Once done I tried to restart and the issue is back. I believe that this shows that there is something upsetting it during the boot process rather than a major issue?

What's the history on this computer?

- Did you own it since new?
- Purchase it used some time ago & it used to work fine?
- Purchase it recently & it has been like this since purchase?

* Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Ran the AHT both standard and Extended. No problems found.

I'm thinking I might try and swap the trackpad from our MBP13 Unibody into this one and see if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ran the AHT both standard and Extended. No problems found.

I'm thinking I might try and swap the trackpad from our MBP13 Unibody into this one and see if that makes any difference.

So I guess AHT doesn't know Diddley squat, and is there some reason you don't like Harry's #4 post…???

Odd… at least to me… or does it not qualify. I didn't see any mention about that…

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks. Off to see the local Apple authorised repairer tomorrow. There is no Apple shop or Genius Bar near by.

Reaction score
Have they been able to identify the problem ?
I have exactly the same 17inch 8.3 early 2011 modell and the exact same problem. Logic Board, Graphic Chip, Ram or just an important piece of system software responsible ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have exactly the same 17inch 8.3 early 2011 modell and the exact same problem. Logic Board, Graphic Chip, Ram or just an important piece of system software responsible ?

Maybe do what the OP did in post #7 even if it was almost two years ago!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Welcome to our forums.

The thread is several years old but I suspect the problem is GPU failure which is quite common for that model MacBook Pro. Apple did issue a recall on that model but the recall is over so you will likely be looking at an expensive repair. The usual repair is to replace the logic board. You might want to take your machine to an authorized Apple repair service and have them check it out for you. An Apple genius bar will not work on your MacBook Pro as it is vintage.

Reaction score
Maybe do what the OP did in post #7 even if it was almost two years ago!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Have done that. The advisor runned an extensive hardware test but could not disgnose a hardware problem with his software. But he mentioned that there might be sth wrong with the machine nevertheless as their tests do not cover every potential failure. I know that the 2011 line had this graphics issue. The weired thing: Once the boot process has been succesfull the mac runs perfect unless I open google chrome 4 whatever reason. Powering it on is the hassle as I now try it several times and allways hope that the bootprocess does not stop with a grey screen again.

Reaction score
Several years old but desrcibes exactly the issue. That might be the case. There is information googlable on how to force MBP to boot and run only integrated Intel graphic chip. I might try that if I have sufficient evidence that it is the dedicated chip which sounds reasonable evethough the Apple advisor diagnostic software did not find anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Several years old but desrcibes exactly the issue.

And I assume that you have tried booting up using Safe Boot Mode to see if it helps or fixes the problem.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I thought I tried that before but just did it for sure yesterday and there was no problem to boot the MBP. Apps do not crash anymore and OSX does not crash anymore after opening a few more apps at the same time in safe mode. I now have lagging windows when I move them around quickly and this tells me that in save mode the integrated Intel chip is working and not the dedicated chip or some drivers are not loaded.
Thank you so far !!!!!!!!!! The genius did not come up with that idea.Very helpfull.
A warm thank you !
Janes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so far !!!!!!!!!! The genius did not come up with that idea.Very helpfull.
A warm thank you !
Janes

I'm glad that helped a bit and thanks for the reply and update.

PS and OT: I don't speak German but your Jungeaushamburg username is curious and does it mean you live in Germany???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I found this:
mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15 and had the mainboard replaced by Apple years ago. Starting having crashes again when starting iPhoto or anything that caused discrete GPU to turn on.

Up until this morning, was on High Sierra 10.13.4 and hadn't used the computer for a month or two. Found this thread, upgraded to 10.13.6 and then did the following:

*) Boot into single user mode (Command + s)

*) sudo nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

*) reboot

Not sure if updating to 10.13.6 or the nvram fixed the problem, but now I can launch videos or iPhoto and the computer stays in integrated GPU mode. Hasn't crashed once all day. Prior to this I would launch iPhoto and computer would crash within a minute.
in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tegrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/page-76

posted yesterday, so it's relatively current. I have no idea what the entire thinking is, as the thread is 76 pages long, but multiple people have used that same technique to force the MBP to boot into the lower demand GPU and block the failing one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea what the entire thinking is, as the thread is 76 pages long, but multiple people have used that same technique to force the MBP to boot into the lower demand GPU and block the failing one.

Good find Jake.

But I wonder how one knows if and which graphic mode has gone goofy.

And no, I'm not goona read all 76+ pages thanks. ;D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only one that goes goofy is the external one. Actually, it is a capacitor that is in the circuit with the GPU that fails. There are vids available showing people replacing the defective (and deficient) cap with a better one and getting full video back. But the work has to be done by someone with tools to do soldering work on very small surface mounted devices. If there is a surface mount repair place in the area, it could be a (relatively) cheap fix if the shop is willing to take the work. Youtube has lots of demo vids.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OH, and the reason that the system fails with Photoshop, Windows, etc, is that they all drive the external GPU and don't work with the internal one. So getting the fix is required for those type apps. (Yes, I have a 2011 17" MBP that failed and was repaired by Apple, but I'm tracking the surface mount fixes because eventually the problem will return on the replaced mobo.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only one that goes goofy is the external one. Actually, it is a capacitor that is in the circuit with the GPU that fails

Thanks for the info Jake, and it's almost like déjà vu and the old G5 and some others and their bad caps goofup.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.