MacIntel Firefox Released

Reaction score
Firefox has released an update, 1.5.0.2, which supports MacIntels.
The info page is here, along with a link to the download.

OP
B
Reaction score
I downloaded it, and I suppose because it's a universal-binary app, the application size jumped from 27.2 megabytes to 45.8.

I wish there was a utility that could strip out the unneeded code. You'd have to download it twice, to strip out the unneeded code in the utility.:)

Photoshop will be massive.

L

lil

Well, when we mean Universal binaries, they really are dual binaries and a little bit more space intensive.

Thankfully we live in an age where storage is cheap, unlike the days of the 68K->PPC transition.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you should have more than plenty of storage space in order to install that....heck it is basically 2 programs put into one file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Wow. Gotta say, this new Mactel version is much quicker.
Starts up instantly and closes just as fast.
Well done Mozilla!

OP
B
Reaction score
Conehead, great application. Thanks for passing it on. TrimTheFat dropped Firefox's avoirdupois back down to 27.3 megabytes.

TrimTheFat comes with a warning, and according to some websites, if the extra code is pulled, some apps won't update properly. But apps such as Firefox are safe to work with because their updates are the whole ball of wax.

TrimTheFat did its job in about five seconds, after first duplicating Firefox as a backup.

Reaction score
How does universal Firefox compare to Camino 1.0, which is already universal? Is this a "safari-killuh"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
What is the difference between Camino and Firefox. Right now I am using Camino, should I switch to Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 1GB RAM, nvidia geforce 6600 256MB VRAM, 160GB HDD, 250GB HDD, Dell 2005FPW
Can any G5 users verify if this version is faster than the Deer Park G5 Optimized release?

OP
B
Reaction score
dimagex20 said:
What is the difference between Camino and Firefox.
Mozilla's Firefox is a cross-platform and "a la carte" browser. It's bare-bones until you add what you want with the zillion add-ons, or extensions that are available. Some are here, and some are here. More can be found elsewhere by running a web search for Firefox add-ons OR extensions.

Camino, which can't use extensions, was built exclusively for OS X and supposedly is faster than Firefox. I don't agree because the ease of use that extensions make possible leaves Camino — and Safari — in the dust.

I have an extra toolbar at the top of Firefox called PrefButtons (that I can make disappear with a click), and it contains buttons to turn cookies on and off, Java and JavaScript on and off and a bunch of other things without having to go into the preferences.

PrefButtons also has a color check box, so if you land on a web page with yellow type on a white background, you can turn the colors off with a click before reloading the page.

The extension SmoothWheel is the best thing since sliced bread. Tweak Network speeds page rendering through pipelining (without going to extremes), so a user with a fast connection (not dialup) doesn't have to go under the hood to invoke it.

A few of these add-ons also work with Mozilla's SeaMonkey for OS X, the old but updated browser-email-web-page-maker suite that once was branded Netscape, though it was Mozilla. Three of four extensions even work with the Mozilla, a.k.a. Netscape, version for OS 9.

I have over 20 extensions and use them all, including Mouse Gestures. Like Tweak Network, some extensions, once set, do their jobs in the background. The user never has to look at them again.

There's a bunch of Mozilla support forums (that include Camino) run by volunteers here. If you click on Search (Advanced) on the far right, type mac OR macintosh in the top blank, then choose the Firefox sections in the drop-down menus, you'll avoid most of the Windows (and Linux) stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Why Thank You Brown Study, you were very informative and insightful. I like how you went in depth and in detail.

Very much appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
ehh... i'm happy with safari. i don't feel like downloading it then using trimthefat, i'm just too lazy. safari works fine for me.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't think a majority of Mac users would use TrimTheFat for any application. It isn't necessary. Most new Mac apps have or will have both codings. I don't think Safari would be an exception.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
firefox bookmarks - keyboard shortcut?

The only thing I miss going from Safari to any other browswer (aside from Shiira) is that I can't use "apple 1" "apple 2" to go to my 1st and 2nd book marks.

Please tell me there is a way to add keyboard shortcuts for bookmarks in Firefox.

OP
B
Reaction score
LastZion said:
Please tell me there is a way to add keyboard shortcuts for bookmarks in Firefox.
There is, but the cursor must be in the address bar.

Go to Manage Bookmarks, choose a bookmark and right-click or control-click it. Go to Properties. In the blank next to Keyword, type in a word or just a letter or a number. Close the bookmark and dismiss Manage Bookmarks.

Click in the address bar and type the word or letter or number, then hit return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I would use Firefox in a heartbeat if I could somehow make its zoom button do the same thing Safari's does.

OP
B
Reaction score
Which zoom? Pictures or type?

There's a Firefox extension that adds a mouse-menu command to enlarge pictures. Text can be made larger or smaller under View or by keyboard shortcuts that are the same as Safari's.

I'm probably missing something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.