Site throwing database errors?

M

MacInWin

Anybody else seeing database errors? I've been getting them all day for random posts and threads. Here is what I'm seeing:
Database error
The Mac Forums database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the www.mac-forums.com home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.mac-forums.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes, it has been going on for most of the day for me. Actually I just got on in the last ten minutes. I get what you posted and some other message that reflects server/database errors.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Same here.

First time I've been able to connect and get anywhere since this am without getting the:
Database Error Database error
The Mac Forums database has encountered a problem.

6:30pm PDT here

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like things have settled down now. The site has been down for most of the day due to a glitch which has caused data base errors to occur. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like things have settled down now. The site has been down for most of the day due to a glitch which has caused data base errors to occur. Thanks for everyone's patience.

It seems like yet another software possible "update" install that seems quite common these days that was done without any prior testing. :Oops:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We do not know what caused the glitch, so please let's not speculate that it was an update. For all we know, it could have been a rain soaked server under water in Houston..... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Did no-one contact the email given in the error message. I did and got the immediate reply:
"We've had a ram failure on the database server running Mac-forums.com, hosting is currently working to get the hardware swapped!
Sorry for the inconvenience!"
So there your have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Since Sunday is usually my busiest day of the week, I just noted the problem and figured it would get fixed. But, if that was the message I do wonder why there is only one server handling the database. No fallsafe rollover? Even I have two servers on my very small work network and when one had a ram failure the other picked up the load until I could get it repaired.

I just find that interesting.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But what if we don't own a Mac?
Hey Everyone,

We've been having some hardware trouble with the database server hosting Mac-Forums. A chassis swap was done last night but we are still seeing periodic table errors crop up. So I have just finished moving this site onto a new database server. The old server will be completely replaced and OS reloaded for later use.

Sorry all for the outages! Still monitoring the situation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did no-one contact the email given in the error message. I did and got the immediate reply:
"We've had a ram failure on the database server running Mac-forums.com, hosting is currently working to get the hardware swapped!
Sorry for the inconvenience!"
So there your have it.

I had a look at that email address when it showed yesterday but it didn't look legit so I tried sending a PM to Nick the administrator instead but I don't think it worked.

Neither did my attempt a short while ago to attempt to send this and all I got was this Oppps message…
Anyway, they seem to be on top of things and getting things working.
Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.52.33 AM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think it must be a nightmare dealing with a large site like ours. Apart from the day-to-day running, there's the denial-of-service attacks we've seen plus hardware & software problems.

A big thanks to our Administrators & Moderators and, of course, the Penton people upon whom we rely.

Just don't let it happen again LOL :):)

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Everyone,

We've been having some hardware trouble with the database server hosting Mac-Forums. A chassis swap was done last night but we are still seeing periodic table errors crop up. So I have just finished moving this site onto a new database server. The old server will be completely replaced and OS reloaded for later use.

Sorry all for the outages! Still monitoring the situation!

Thanks Mat. I know it's been a long weekend. Appreciate your input. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Big thanks here as well Mat!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.