USB Unix executable file?

Reaction score
After working on my MacBook Pro on several Word docs (created on a PC) saved to a USB, I attempted to put the USB in my other MacBook Pro and ... now there are just 18 Unix executable files. None of them are named as the files that existed previously.

I am already completely clueless, but now I'm clueless and panicked as I count down the hours to work (where the absent Word docs are required). I know similar questions have been asked here, but I can't seem to apply any of that advice to solve my issue. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Hello, and welcome.

Being executable in Unix / Linux has nothing to do with the actual file as it's all about whether the permissions have been set to INDICATE that it's an executable. As far as the file names, are they AT ALL close to what you had named the file? I'm wondering if the filesystem on the USB drive didn't allow for long filenames or similar.

It's also possible that there are multiple filesystems on the USB stick and this computer mounted "the wrong one".

Can you go to the first machine, insert the USB, open Terminal, and post the output from "df -m". Do the same from the second computer and let's see if it's actually seeing the same filesystem in the same way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.