How do I install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
I want to install ClamXav...how do I get it loadedon my system? Remember this is my 2nd day with this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Download the .dmg file from ClamXav's site. Double click the disk image, and when you see the file for the program, drag and drop it into your applications folder. Double click it in there or drag the file in the applications folder into your dock at the bottom and click that to run it.

Yeah, I know, it's a lot simpler than windows. Welcome to the wonderful world of OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Dooglla said:
I want to install ClamXav...how do I get it loadedon my system? Remember this is my 2nd day with this machine.

On my first day, I wanted to do exactly the same thing, but I held off, and by about day 5, I realized that based on what I read, my interpretation of what I read, and what seems to be the general consensus, any AV app for OS X is likely to cause you more grief than it's worth. Have a look around the groups/topics here for lots of discussion about the threat potential. On the other hand, if you do want to install it, this might help:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2005/08/19/clamav.html

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You honestly don't need antivirus for macs... a total of three viruses have been scripted for Macs, and none of them work on OS X, as they were for previous Mac OSs. The only POSSIBLE threat is there is one small virus scripted for UNIX, and to get these you actually have to try to get them... it's SUPER tough to get a virus on macs. Don't get ClamXav, it'll slow down your computer unnecessarily. For more info, check out the antivirus thread in the "Switchover Hangout" thread.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
What if I have a PC on my network hooked to Dlink...am I still safe? My PC's have panda av on them.

Reaction score
A windows PC virus will not work on the mac, a virus needs to be written especially for the mac and as blindinglights said there aren't really any effective viruses out for OSX.

Some people say you should have anti virus on your mac if you are networked with windows PC, not to protect your mac, but to protect the pc. Since your PC has the panada av you don't need to bother.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
Thanks zeta101...appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
HOLD UP! What is this?

You guys need to remember that there are Windows users in the world, out of common courtesy, I at least scan any e-mail attachments with Clam XAV. You don't have to scan your entire computer to use Clam, it only involves you choosing a folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Also, clamXAV won't slow down your system when your not running it. Just run it to scan any files you are planning to share with windows computers to help them be more secure. It's not like other AVs that run constantly in the background.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
claudius753 said:
Also, clamXAV won't slow down your system when your not running it. Just run it to scan any files you are planning to share with windows computers to help them be more secure. It's not like other AVs that run constantly in the background.

Thanks so much...appreciate that alot.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
to_tough_to_die said:
HOLD UP! What is this?

You guys need to remember that there are Windows users in the world, out of common courtesy, I at least scan any e-mail attachments with Clam XAV. You don't have to scan your entire computer to use Clam, it only involves you choosing a folder.

Thanks...I am glad the world have people like you. Really appreciate this much. I can say that I have never touched a mac until now...and this is a new experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
macs are completely easy.. if you have any questions... even if you think its dumb, no questions are dumb if you dont know.. just ask

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
iWonder said:
macs are completely easy.. if you have any questions... even if you think its dumb, no questions are dumb if you dont know.. just ask

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWonder said:

Yes, definately. That's what this section's for.

And BTW a Windows Virus won't work on a mac... Even if you get it onto your computer, It won't do ANYTHING (except at most take up a few MB of space on your HD) to your Mac. Because Windows uses .exe files and macs use .img files to install programs, it's like comparing an apple (no pun intended) and an orange. .exe and macs just don't mix, unless you're dual booting into windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.