External Mic not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini
Hey all I was at the dollar store the other day and noticed they had computer mics. and because I have an Imac my internal mic picks up all of that fan noise so me and my friend bought some mics. But I cant seem to get my mic working I changed all the system pref settings with no luck. I know the mic works because it works on my friends pc just fine why does it not work for me??

Reaction score
Hi,
I think better write down what you did exactly and the expert will tell you if you did "all" the changes.
Regards,
doki

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay so:
1)bought the mic
2)plugged it in
3)opened system prefs changed input from internal mic to external mic and the sound detection bars dont move at all when I talk
4) I also changed the prefs in speakable items to listen on the external mic port and still nothing
5) I even tryed using sound studio 3 and nothing happened in terms of sound so.... ya anybody know what else to try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Go to applications-> utilities-> Audio & midi utility.

Make sure the input levels for the external mic port are turned up all the way.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did that and no luck

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow this is really annoying it just doesn't work. Does it have to be like a power mic or something (just throwing out random questions)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I know this sounds stupid, but are you sure you plugged it into the line-in connection and not the line-out. Believe me, some people do it !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Okay, this problem can be easily solved. It's a pain to figure out, but it works...

In GarageBand-

GarageBand>Preferences>Audio/Midi

Then select audio input and choose your mic from the scroll list

Does this help?

Reaction score
See the problem is that the mac doesn't recognize the mic at all. It doesn't have anything to do with programs or preferences. One thing I found that should work is this Griffin USB mic adapter for macs. Griffin iMic 2 Sound card

Reaction score
External mic for Mac

This is the problem with your mic: The cheap computer mic is usually an electret type. This means that here is a field effect transistor inside the mic that requires a power supply. PC's that have a mic input have a supply voltage to feed the transistor but the Mac does not have a mic input, only a line in which means there is no supply voltage. This can be arranged externally if you know how. You could try a dynamic mic which does not need a supply but audio outputs from dynamic mics is very low and will probably not work.

Regards

Henry.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you guys are on the right track suggesting that the problem is the type of mic. I spent about two hours a few months ago trying yo get a mic to work with one of my desktop systems. The mic is probably not generating sufficient voltage to work on the Line In port.

If I remember correctly the Griffin iMic solved the problem for me. A mic pre-amp (available from many electronics shops) would likely also work.

Reaction score
How to create external power supply

This is the problem with your mic: The cheap computer mic is usually an electret type. This means that here is a field effect transistor inside the mic that requires a power supply. PC's that have a mic input have a supply voltage to feed the transistor but the Mac does not have a mic input, only a line in which means there is no supply voltage. This can be arranged externally if you know how. You could try a dynamic mic which does not need a supply but audio outputs from dynamic mics is very low and will probably not work.

Regards

Henry.

I was reading your post and you stated that a power supply for this type of mic can be arranged externally... How would one go about doing that?

Reaction score
How to create external power supply

I was reading your post and you stated that a power supply for this type of mic can be arranged externally... How would one go about doing that?

I have the same question. Anyone? Thanks ^^

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try the following. Either should work though in many way I prefer option two as it has a bit more flexibility for connecting mics and certain speakers.

1. Get in touch with a local electronics shop such as Radio Shack. Tell them the problem you are having and ask if a mic preamp will solve the problem. I have seen some that are not very expensive but it's probably best to ask about their return policy.

2. The Griffin iMic 2 Sound card may work. I have two of them and use them regularly. If the problem is simply that the mic doesn't generate appropriate voltage this should foo the trick.

Reaction score
other option

Hi Slydude,

Thanks for your quick answer. I'm not sure the quality of the recorded sound with a mic + Griffin iMic 2 Sound card would be better than the one using the built-in mic of my MacBook. I say so, because I want to record people talking in a public space.

I was googling and I found this USB one, which is expensive for me as I just need to do some experiences. Anyway it seems to work just fine, so I'll try to borrow one from a girl who has a similar one. Let's see if I'm lucky!

Reaction score
Go to applications-> utilities-> Audio & midi utility.

Make sure the input levels for the external mic port are turned up all the way.

I did this but whenever and however I have found to do this and switch to the headset it doesnt connect and brings up a window telling me to stop using headset. I restarted my computer and checked it and did this Im begining to lose my wit!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did this but whenever and however I have found to do this and switch to the headset it doesnt connect and brings up a window telling me to stop using headset. I restarted my computer and checked it and did this Im begining to lose my wit!
Without knowing which Mac you have I can't be sure but I think the problem is the mic not generating sufficient power. Try either the Griffin iMic that I referenced in my previous post or a USB mic.

Reaction score
i discovered that I "lost" my built-in mike because of an Audacity setting. When I changed it to external mike, the internal mike became active,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will definitely file that tidbit away for future use. I have not used Audacity in quite some time due to quirks like that. I tend to use either Amadeus Pro or Audio Hijack Pro for most recording/editing. My needs are pretty simple though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.