iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 upgrades

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting on a site like this. I was wondering if I could upgrade my iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309's graphics card if I were to replace the logic board and if I switched the operating system to windows. I'd also like to know if I could replace the CPU with a Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core and install a 2nd SSD. Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Replace the logic board from what? What does Windows have to do with this upgrade? Doing what you want to do is likely going to be the same purchasing a new iMac with newer specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I wonder if we have got a bite Ashwin?

OP
C
Reaction score
Replace the logic board from what? What does Windows have to do with this upgrade? Doing what you want to do is likely going to be the same purchasing a new iMac with newer specs.

Maybe it's the motherboard? I mean the part that is for tying the different hardware together and is what limits hardware upgrades on older machines. It may be similar but it's cheaper than buying one with similar performance. Oh and for the windows, someone on another thread attributed apple's OSX for the lack of compatibility with different GPUs

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iMac's logicboard has all the components soldered on and nothing on there can be individually upgraded. Depending on the iMac, about the only two things that can upgraded is HDD -> SSD and more RAM.

Logicboards from newer iMacs will likely not fit the older one.

Additionally, a working and functioning logicboard is usually around $850 or so and that's a large chunk of a new iMac's price.

As far as compatibility, Apple designs the hardware and chooses the parts. Apple writes the OS for those parts and somehow Windows is going to be more compatible. Not likely.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As already mentioned…most Apple computer models are "closed systems". Where very little is upgradeable. With a "Late 2009" iMac (which is what you have)…the upgrades are mostly limited to the internal storage (hard drives and/or SSD's)…and the ram. There is the occasional Apple computer model that can have the graphics card or CPU replaced or upgraded (but these are more rare). As mentioned…many times everything is soldered to the logic board/motherboard…and not upgradeable or replaceable.

And…in the cases where an iMac CPU or GPU is socketed (not soldered)…and is replaceable/upgradeable. The upgrades are usually VERY limited. Usually only able to use another CPU or GPU from the same "generation" of iMac. So for a "Late 2009" iMac…if the CPU or GPU was socketed…you would probably only be able to use a CPU or GPU from another "Late 2009" 27" iMac.

As far as logic board replacements/upgrades. Pretty much the same thing. Apple logic boards have very specific shapes, port locations, and wiring setups. Pretty much only a logic board from another "Late 2009" 27" iMac will fit into a "Late 2009" 27" iMac. There may be some exceptions to this rule. But very rare.

Most Apple computers are in no way like Windows computers (desktop computers). Where the upgrade possibilities can be varied & numerous. Even back in the pre-2005 days when Apple had more "traditional" desktop computer models. The upgrade possibilities were still very limited compared to Windows computers.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.