New 23" Cinema=BAD

C

canon_user808

Ok, I ran into my first issue. After calibrating my new 23" cinema with my eye-one display2, I noticed some weird color on the left and right sides of the monitor. On the lower left side there seems to me a slight green cast and on the right side a slight pink cast. I need this monitor to be as accurate as possible for print work. I will be returning it to Mac later today but what are the chances that the next one will have the same issue? I online research and found that there have been quite a few with the same problems. Should I return it and go for something else? I really dont want anything smaller and my powerbook cant power a 30".

23-Cinema-grn-pnk-color-cas.jpg

OP
C

caveatipss

It is a good monitor overall. I would just keep returning defective models until you get a good one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if you need the screen to be as acurate as possible go and buy a real class 1 monitor and not an apple one

OP
C

caveatipss

Apple monitors are not good? I know nothing about them. I just assumed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
caveatipss said:
Apple monitors are not good? I know nothing about them. I just assumed...
They are good, just not the best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea as above they are good but people who work with colour critical stuff wouldnt touch them as they arent specifically designed for people in that field

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Yeah. These are LG screens and they are made for the consumer market, not for the professional market. Apple uses pretty much the same screens that Dell uses in their flat panel line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
caveatipss said:
It is a good monitor overall. I would just keep returning defective models until you get a good one.
Haha, I know my comment is 100% irrelevant but, you gotta enjoy the ironic contrast in this post. Nothing against poster of course, I think it was just worded oddly :)

OP
C

canon_user808

Does anybody make a pro-level monitor in that size? What other monitors would you suggest? The only other one that comes to mind is a LaCie 321 but I kinda wanted a widescreen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
canon_user808 said:
Does anybody make a pro-level monitor in that size? What other monitors would you suggest? The only other one that comes to mind is a LaCie 321 but I kinda wanted a widescreen.
I suggest a CRT. No wide screen but great quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
For what it's worth... I love my Dell 2405 Widescreen monitor. It looks amazing, and colors look perfect. I haven't met/read anything that really disagrees at all.

OP
T

Tiranis

caveatipss said:
I have a 22" LCD for gaming and it rocks.

How is this of any help? Did you read the full post?

Anyway, I wouldn't buy Apple monitor if I was looking for a complete color accuracy. In fact, I wouldn't buy any LCD... CRT is the way to go, still. If you want an LCD then LaCie makes the best ones, or at least according to my colleague who designs for print.

OP
C

canon_user808

Just an update on the situation. Apple has exchanged my monitor twice and so far all 3 monitors have had the pink cast. The current one has least amount of pink. It's only noticable with solid grays and whites and applications like iTunes where the bars run across the screen. All three have had serial #s beginning with 2A6... so I believe they are from the most current batches. At this point I am at a loss. Apple really disappointed me on this one. I really liked the everything about this monitor (with the exception of the pink cast of course) but it looks like I may end up returning it for something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20" Intel Core Duo
slyydrr said:
For what it's worth... I love my Dell 2405 Widescreen monitor. It looks amazing, and colors look perfect. I haven't met/read anything that really disagrees at all.

I agree.My Dell 2405 looks better than my 20" imac intel.

The imac doesn't have any dead pixels,but the color just isn't as nice as the Dell. It's still love the IMac though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
canon_user808 said:
Just an update on the situation. Apple has exchanged my monitor twice and so far all 3 monitors have had the pink cast. The current one has least amount of pink. It's only noticable with solid grays and whites and applications like iTunes where the bars run across the screen. All three have had serial #s beginning with 2A6... so I believe they are from the most current batches. At this point I am at a loss. Apple really disappointed me on this one. I really liked the everything about this monitor (with the exception of the pink cast of course) but it looks like I may end up returning it for something else.

While i can understand that you may feel dissapointed you ARE buying the WRONG product. Apple dont make a screen that goes to the tollerence that you blatantly need so just go and buy what you need rather than would have liked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Unfortunately, I think inflexion is right on this one... I have read in many places issues with colors with the Mac displays. That's why I have no qualms with my Dell monitor. If you are really planning on doing some intense design work, you should have a CRT though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.