iMac 2010 issues

Reaction score
Alright guys here is what i got going on. This is what ive tried. Nvram reset, pram reset, boot from cd, netboot, ran apply diagnostic the long one no issues found, and replaced the 2032 battery on the board. The machine gets stuck at the white screen with apple logo with progress wheel underneath. Can someone offer any more advice on what to do. I am not taking this machine to apple. Would like to fix myself. Have extensive electronics knowledge. Barely any knowledge of apple. Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Helps tremendously if you supply the operating system. However is OS X.7 or later go into Recovery Mode and in First Aid run Repair Disk. If OS X.6 or earlier boot from the disc that came with your iMac and run Repair Disk.Apple will not look at your machine is they consider anything over five years old as 'obsolete'. An Apple Reseller may look at it.

OP
J
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Helps tremendously if you supply the operating system. However is OS X.7 or later go into Recovery Mode and in First Aid run Repair Disk. If OS X.6 or earlier boot from the disc that came with your iMac and run Repair Disk.Apple will not look at your machine is they consider anything over five years old as 'obsolete'. An Apple Reseller may look at it.

Will not boot from cd at all. Will not boot into recovery mode as well as the internet based recovery. Model number of the machine A1311. So its a 2011 sorry. The apple hardware test lists the hardware as being.
Model imac 11, 3
Intel core i3
Boot rom version: IM112.88Z.0057.B00.1005031455

Do not have original disk that came with the machine

OP
J
Reaction score
No one has anymore ideas on this? If not, can someone point me in the direction to get more technical help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mactracker identifies your iMac as a Mid 2010 27" iMac (11,3). So it's a 2010 model not a 2011. Original version of OS X installed on that machine was Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3. You stated above that it will not boot from CD; what CD are you using to boot with? Macs are extremely fussy about having the exact version of DVD to boot from. Unless it's a retail version of Snow Leopard (picture of white Snow Leopard on the DVD face) or the original DVD that shipped with the machine, it will not be able to boot the machine. Any version of OS X after Snow Leopard was not shipped on DVD as it is download from Apple only.

The machine may not be able to boot to a Recovery partition if it has no Recovery partition to boot from. Versions of OS X after Snow Leopard create a Recovery Partition but not Snow Leopard. So it's important to know exactly what version of OS X is now on that machine. Likewise with Internet Recovery.

Why don't you order a retail Snow Leopard DVD from Apple ($19.99) and see if you can boot the machine with it. Order it from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As I pointed out OS X.6 use the DVD, OS X.7 and later use Recovery. Recovery not available on OS X.6 or earlier, but you did not tell us the operating system. As chscag has suggested as a 2010 model, it may well have Snow Leopard hence the suggestion for the DVD. Would imagine the hard drive is failing/failed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.