ipod shuffle issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
i just got my ipod shuffle through a contest at school, and im having an issue with it. it may be just how it is, but here i go..
i plug in the shuffle and it opens itunes. I go to add some songs to it, i click on the ipod in the source list. all of my old songs are recognized, but they have to retransfer or "update" and i dont understand why it has to. Infact, the data usage goes back down to zero, and recounts up once each song is filled. I think that once they transfer, then they should be there untill i delete them. any ideas???
thanks -dave-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
switch the update to manual? prefrences - ipod - manually update

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW
i dont have manual update as an option. i only have, 1. open ituned when attached, 2. keep this ipod in the source list. 3. only update checked songs ( which i figured would be the one, so i unchecked the ones on there already and it erased em and if i leave them checked then it will reupdate them anyways. so i guess thats not the righr one). 4. convert higher bitrate songs... 5. enable sound check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I feel your pain. The iPod shuffle is probably the most aggravating piece of hardware I have ever attempted to mess with. I bought one for my son for Christmas, thinking it would just be a good mp3 player, boy was I wrong. I have 3 other mp3 players and they all just open as disk drives and you can drag and drop songs onto them and they play fine. The iPod shuffle only seems to work through iTunes, does the re-update of every single song every single time, cannot really arrange playlists or anything and cannot simply drag and drop music onto it without either erasing the whole thing. And don't even attempt to mess with it on a Windows machine with iTunes - I gave up even getting it to stay connected. On my Mac is it somewhat easier, but not simple by any means. Why can't they simply make it to mount as a disk and put music files onto it without all the hassle like all my other mp3 players.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rcltrh said:
I feel your pain. The iPod shuffle is probably the most aggravating piece of hardware I have ever attempted to mess with. I bought one for my son for Christmas, thinking it would just be a good mp3 player, boy was I wrong. I have 3 other mp3 players and they all just open as disk drives and you can drag and drop songs onto them and they play fine. The iPod shuffle only seems to work through iTunes, does the re-update of every single song every single time, cannot really arrange playlists or anything and cannot simply drag and drop music onto it without either erasing the whole thing. And don't even attempt to mess with it on a Windows machine with iTunes - I gave up even getting it to stay connected. On my Mac is it somewhat easier, but not simple by any means. Why can't they simply make it to mount as a disk and put music files onto it without all the hassle like all my other mp3 players.

i HEAR everything your saying! haha i have 2 other mp3 players my self. one is by the company iRiver and its absolutely incredible! it does have its own transfering program, but i have never had an issue with it at all. my other is a mount/drag and drop type. it can hold data and music and they dont have to be seperated or anything. its a really cheap no name one, bu tons easier than the ipod. when i 1st used my shuffle, i thought it was just drag and drop, buuuut nope. so i put a whole cd on there and i found out that after i deleted the files, the data never came back, i had to restore the thing for it to be fine. i always told myself that i would never get an ipod if i had to pay for one, and i got this one for free so thats why i got it. knowing its like this, i will never buy one in the future. although, the bigger ipods may be better, but never will i buy a shuffle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Yes I agree. I will never buy another one. Not sure if the regular ones are like this or not but I'll not chance it to see. I have a Creative Zen 20 gig, a RCA lycra, and some other cheap 128MB one and they all are a breeze to drag and drop or use their own file manager browser type program that work great on both the Mac and Windows. Apple should learn something here like they have always done with Macs - KEEP IT SIMPLE.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rcltrh said:
Yes I agree. I will never buy another one. Not sure if the regular ones are like this or not but I'll not chance it to see. I have a Creative Zen 20 gig, a RCA lycra, and some other cheap 128MB one and they all are a breeze to drag and drop or use their own file manager browser type program that work great on both the Mac and Windows. Apple should learn something here like they have always done with Macs - KEEP IT SIMPLE.

i usually love all the mac products. i fell in love with the computers, but the shuffle is upsetting and the others are to expensive to consider..but anyways...i hear that creative one is great! and i had an old lyra...both good...

Reaction score
desrosiers13 said:
i just got my ipod shuffle through a contest at school, and im having an issue with it. it may be just how it is, but here i go..
i plug in the shuffle and it opens itunes. I go to add some songs to it, i click on the ipod in the source list. all of my old songs are recognized, but they have to retransfer or "update" and i dont understand why it has to. Infact, the data usage goes back down to zero, and recounts up once each song is filled. I think that once they transfer, then they should be there untill i delete them. any ideas???
thanks -dave-

I've had issues with mine as well. Having said that have you tried all the obvious things? Repair permissions, updating the software, resetting the ipod, the Five R's that are on the apple support page etc.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cjay said:
I've had issues with mine as well. Having said that have you tried all the obvious things? Repair permissions, updating the software, resetting the ipod, the Five R's that are on the apple support page etc.

yea ive done all of that. my neighbor has an ipod mini and she said she has to reupdate all of hers when she adds songs. so im assuming thats just how they are..and if it is, then thats all fine :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.