Aperture 1.1... Hopefully

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060412233425.shtml

Well... They missed the March deadline but hopefully we will finally see some better RAW conversion tools tomorrow. Also they are supposedly dropping the price $200... Good for new buyers... But a slap in the face for those of us who paid full price for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
lol, they did release aperture 1.1 today with better raw support for 299....this was a pretty good prediction

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The good news is that they are now offering $200 coupons to those who paid the full price! I guess they saw that backlash coming...

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I wonder when it will come out in the UK????

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Ok, I have just checked the Apple UK store and Aperture 1.1 is now out in the UK. Priced at £219. It is cheaper than it had been before. All I got to do nw is find the funds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i just got a software update saying i have an aperture 1.1 update. i thought i had to pay for 1.1 again?
-chris

L

lil

Nope, to 1.0 owners you get the update for free and a coupon to the value of $200 to spend in an Apple Store now the price has been cut.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
sweet i guess i was confused!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
seems a bit faster although i only used it for a few seconds. went to a file with about a hundred raw files and they loaded right up.

-chris

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The RAW conversion is definitely better... Better noise reduction and detail protection. Alot of people were concerned that the change in the RAW processing would mess up previous color corrections... but all my pics look exactly the same except the highlights are much cleaner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I went to an Aperture class at the local MAC store a few weeks ago, it seems like a pretty nice program. The new universal program, do those run on both the new MAC processors and old MAC and PC chipsets? Just wondering.

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup... Hence the term "Universal" ... :) Made for PPC or Intel Macs.

I

iRobot

Aperture 1.1 on MacBook Pro

Hi, I've started a similar thread in the MacBook Pro forum, but someone (thanks Le Premier, ton aide est la bienvenue) told me to try here.

I'm a photographer, and I have a Nikon D2X. Whoever knows this camera also knows that the raws are quite big (20Mb). I was until now a PC user, but Aperture has seduced me. I intend to buy now a good laptop to run it, along with photoshop and some other design software.

The laptop will probably be, as you can guess, a 15" MacBook Pro, unless the still-to-be-released high end MacBook meets my needs. I will go for the 2.0Ghz/256VRAM/1Gb RAM, and then add another 1Gb RAM . The 17" will be worth the wait, just in case, but it'll probably be too big for me.

My questions are:

How does the MacBook Pro handle Aperture 1.1? I'm talking about speed.

How big is the improvement in speed when dealing with jpegs instead of raws?

Does adding a second monitor slow the computer down in any way? (It would be a 20" or 23" Cinema Display, the 30" is too much € for me).

For an Aperture-Photoshop work, do I need a workstation or is the MacBookPro powerful enough? (it'd be great to save the cost of the workstation and just add a 20”!)

I'd specially like feedback from someone who has/uses the same or a similar setup (D2X+MBP+Aperture 1.1)

Thank you very much...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
iRobot said:
The laptop will probably be, as you can guess, a 15" MacBook Pro, unless the still-to-be-released high end MacBook meets my needs. I will go for the 2.0Ghz/256VRAM/1Gb RAM, and then add another 1Gb RAM . The 17" will be worth the wait, just in case, but it'll probably be too big for me.

My questions are:

Does adding a second monitor slow the computer down in any way? (It would be a 20" or 23" Cinema Display, the 30" is too much € for me).

For an Aperture-Photoshop work, do I need a workstation or is the MacBookPro powerful enough? (it'd be great to save the cost of the workstation and just add a 20”!)

I'd specially like feedback from someone who has/uses the same or a similar setup (D2X+MBP+Aperture 1.1)

Thank you very much...

The whole point of aperture is to work without JPEGs. It keeps a file of instructions it applies to the raw file and keeps "versions" of the raw file. You can export these Aperture files to JPEG or TIFF.
I cannot judge the speed for you, I run CS2 on a Powermac dual G5 with 6GB RAM and it handles the D2X files easily enough. I also had CS on a IBM compat laptop with only 1GB RAM, it was much slower but considering the memory capability differences it is understandable.

Now I am wondering how the new Nikon Capture NX will compare, the older 4.1 version although reads the D2X files better for color rendition in my opinion s*cks for everything else.

I

iRobot

I know about the advantages of aperture when dealing with RAWs... and of course, for quality images I want to shoot RAW, if it doesn't mean any slowing down in the workflow. But for some other works, when I know that I'm not gonna need anything more than 4"x6" output prints, I just find the jpg to be plenty enough concerning quality... and light to store!

I bought the Capture 4.1 too (when all the WB encryption affair), and of course I've suffered its speed (I must admit, improved with later updates).

Coming from the editing business, I've seen interfaces (like the Digital Fusion's, just to name one similar in appearance to Aperture ) that are weird at the beginning, but then prove to be the most logic and easy to use.

Thanks for your feedback. Thinking about buying a workstation to deal with the files back home if the MacBook Pro has a hard time with the raws.

G

gilevans

iRobot said:
Hi, I've started a similar thread in the MacBook Pro forum, but someone (thanks Le Premier, ton aide est la bienvenue) told me to try here.

I'm a photographer, and I have a Nikon D2X. Whoever knows this camera also knows that the raws are quite big (20Mb). I was until now a PC user, but Aperture has seduced me. I intend to buy now a good laptop to run it, along with photoshop and some other design software.

My questions are:

Thank you very much...

I've got a D2X as well and from everything I've read, the best RAW conversion is still Nikon Capture (soon to be upgraded itself). Personally, I'm intrigued by Apterture as well, but I'll wait to see if this latest update improves image quality. The thing that concerns me most, however, is chromatic abberation control, which capture does brilliantly, and which the D2X needs desperately, at least with my favorite lens...17-55. I have no idea how well Apeture handles CA. So...I'm not rushing into it. I know that doesn't answer any of your questions...but there is it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.