All my apps take over a minute to launch

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any news on this one mate ?

I don't understand why everyone is so focussed on a " disk issue ". It could be a disk issue, but it can also be something else.
DiskUtility.app is not the holy grail either, too often it comes up with no issue when there are in fact issues.

You're right McBie. We should give Activity Monitor a quick look to see if there are any "rogue apps" slowing things down. OP kind of changed gears talking about getting a new computer. We didn't really do enough troubleshooting yet to see if this situation can be resolved.

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have to add my agreement to what has already been said with one important addition. Do you have a full backup of this iMac, if not perform one now, either Time Machine or a paid for cloning app (which would be my preference). You will be able to use it to restore to your new HD or a new device if that is your choice.
Secondly there is a very good chance that just a new hard drive and double the RAM (although more is preferable) will extend the life of you computer by up to 3 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think it is time to run Recovery over the machine and check out the state of the hard drive.

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Photoshop CC, and was surprised the app takes 3 minutes to lauch, so I timed other apps, Safari, Excel.. all at least a minute and it goes on... Now I've with with Apple for 15 years, and I have never seen speedy launches but just amazing 2016 El Capitan and everything is so slow to launch. Any ideas on this? Thanks.
Upgrading to CC, this will add a LOT of files and change a LOT of files on your system, so Spotlight will take considerable time and resources to index all that....
When you have only 4GB Ram it will be "consumed" more with CC than all Adobe products that were standalone before.... So you really need more Ram (and a bit of patience).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Think it is time to run Recovery over the machine and check out the state of the hard drive.

Great points made in this thread especially those by Nick on probable cause and need to buy new. If it ain't broke, don't replace it unless you can't do what you need to do with what you have. I believe Nick's points are well taken and the easiest the check with disk being the most likely culprit. It's probably too full or on its way out. Backup is certainly in order.

"Too full" can mean different things depending on the size of the drive as well as the size of your RAM. A 250GB drive can be too full at 60% if you only have 4GB RAM and doing a lot of virtual memory swapping. Instead, a 4TB drive may not be sluggish at 90% or more if 32GB keeps the need for virtuality to a minimum. It all depends on what's going on internally. So take a look at your Activity monitor with this in mind. Nevertheless, today's software (Bloatware? Nobody tries to write tight code any more.) puts increasing stress on RAM and thus more swapping (and disk wear as a result). RAM is now cheap. Go for it.

Regarding the health of your disk, of course DU can "repair" a problem but may not do a complete job if the disk is getting tired. If bucks are really tight, and your HDD is in good shape, a restoration may be in the cards as suggested. You might try to run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) for your machine if you can figure out how to do this. You're lucky if it resides in your System's CoreServices directory and can access it wth the D-startup option. For some reason it doesn't in mine and I'm currently trying to figure out how to download and run real diagnostics using AHT. Anyone have any ideas?

Finally, in this already too long post, Apple computers are an order above regular PCs in quality and should last considerably longer. They are built like fine electronic instrumentation as opposed to the tinkerware nature of most PCs...thin tin, dangling cables, cheap connectors, etc. When did you last see a backplane on a PC? My first Mac was a 1,1 Pro vintage 2006. I would still be using that if Apple hadn't stopped allowing OS upgrades past Lion. I bought a used, 2009, 8-Core, 2.66GHz 4,1 and jammed 32G into the RAM slots stuffed a 1TB SSD into one of the optical drive slots. I use this for the OS (10.11) and apps. All disk sleds are used for standard HDDs. I use one 2T unit for my user space, one as an alternative startup drive (with Yosemite) and two others with software RAID as an internal time machine. It's blazing fast on both startup and operation for what I do and I plan to keep it for as long as it continues working...if it doesn't go up in flames first. At 79, I do not see significant software upgrades in my future. Perhaps someone will bundle this machine with me when I end up horizontal. But not for a few years!

---OJ

Reaction score
I have a 2009 i7 iMac that I recently put a SSD into (replacing the 1TB HDD). With a fresh install of El Capitan, the machine works great and all apps launch within a few seconds as compared to before with the HDD. I already had 16GB of memory and the SSD upgrade was totally worth it to give the machine new life.

Can this be done with a MacBook Pro 2011?

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Good day,

I have been fixing Apple products for over 25 years. The 27 inch is a worthy Mac. I ask my customers how much time during a week they are on it as a starting point. A SSD install would be the best bang for your buck to extend the life of your existing iMac. I do not know what you do on your iMac, nor how often you are on it. If purchasing new I would sell the old iMac to help cushion costs. The SSD upgrade is the best solution. OWC sells quality SSD's at reasonable prices. If you are looking to save pennies buy the drive and Call around and take the iMac, your time machine backup to an EXPERIENCED Mac shop. Many PC shops are hackers... well, at least in this area...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Used to mess with inside of Pc never my MacBook are there tutorials?

- Go to ifixit.com…great procedures there.
- You Tube videos.
- Go to OWC (macsales.com)…they also have videos.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
My reply is coming from an amateur's perspective- Both hardware & software.

In the original question, Kevs mentioned that applications take a longer time to load after upgrading to Photoshop CC. I use a much different, and wimpier, Photoshop program (Elements), but after I did the most recent update, not only did that application take a much longer time to load, many of my other ones did too- especially Microsoft Office applications & Safari. The Photoshop Elements was the longest, at well over 3 minutes. (It used to take about 1 minute to load.)

What worked for me, and I hope it helps you, is that I uninstalled the Photoshop application and then used Easy Find.app to find all files related to it that got left behind by their uninstaller. I also removed all Adobe items, because for many, the Date Modified showed the same date that I updated Photoshop Elements. I did not touch any of the other applications. Then I re-installed Adobe Reader, re-nstalled the Photoshop Elements and then updated it. That application is still the slowest to load, but it was back to about 1 minute- before the SSD installation mentioned below. The other applications that got slowed down after the first update are now back to normal. I do not have any idea why this worked, but I hope it helps your situation.

And, in Post #17, Nick mentioned Macs as old a 2007 using El Capitan. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro using El Capitan and it works flawlessly. Actually, programs open and respond faster than they did under 10.6.8 (I made a giant leap). Then, I added RAM & a SSD. Holy Smokes!
The people on this forum were amazingly helpful by sharing ideas for how to upgrade & set things up, so don't hesitate to ask! Unfortunately, my wife's 2006 is stuck at 10.6.8 due to age.

Finally- About spending on an older Mac & doing the physical modifications...
Of course, the spending decision is yours alone. I agonized over 'Upgrade or Replace' for weeks. I ended up spending 155.00 USD for a SSD and 4 GB RAM from OWC- and they supplied matched RAM modules. For very little additional money, I also bought some repair parts from Powerbook Medic, like key caps, optical drive, top case, etc.

The RAM & SSD made applications open faster & process much faster. Examples- Photoshop Elements at it's best opened in about 1 minute. Now it is 14 seconds. It processes changes really fast. Microsoft Word was well over a minute to open. Now it is 3 or 4 seconds. Excel took over a minute to load an existing spreadsheet. Now it loads so fast that I don't have time to click the next one in the Finder list. (I'll open 4 or 5 spreadsheets at once.) My CAD program is crazy fast at rendering. All in all, it is like having a spiffy new computer. Wonder what would happen if I could have 16 or 32 GM RAM? Naturally, sooner or later, I won't be able to upgrade to the newest OS, like my wife's MBP, but it's already given me 9 years of service.

Installing the parts in my laptop was easy using guides from Powerbook Medic, iFixit & OWC- Not to mention all the help the people on this user group gave me. I'd have to guess your computer will be just as easy to upgrade. Powerbook Medic and OWC are awesome at giving advice and will help out if something does not go as planned- so no worries there.

I hope the Photoshop idea that worked for me helps you out!
Enjoy Today,
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Can this be done with a MacBook Pro 2011?

To a point. I have both a 13 and 17 MBP vintage 2011. On the 17, I removed the original 750 drive and installed a hybrid from Western Digital and configured it as a Fusion Drive. Made a huge difference. No reason a 1T or larger SSD wouldn't work as well but would be much more expensive, I believe. My apps on the 17 load "very" rapidly but no benchmarks. If you're at 8GB RAM that's all you can do, I think, but the combination of a full complement of RAM and a FHD or SSD for your drive should make your 17 much faster than stock. I also seem to recall that some have removed the optical drive and replaced with a second HDD/FDD/SSD. An external optical drive could then be used when needed.

....Unfortunately, my wife's 2006 is stuck at 10.6.8 due to age.

Paul

I also looked long and hard about my upgrade issues with my 2006 1,1. I seriously considered making some internal modifications and kluging a boot fix to upgrade to Mountain Lion (at that time). I decided against this as I felt it would be continuing problems going forward. Thant's when I searched for a good used newer model and spent $700 on a 2009 4,1. Huge difference. You may wish to look at the following thread.

[h=1]Thread: Legacy 2006 Mac Pro upgrade to Yosemite[/h]

Finally- About spending on an older Mac & doing the physical modifications...
Of course, the spending decision is yours alone. I agonized over 'Upgrade or Replace' for weeks. I ended up spending 155.00 USD for a SSD and 4 GB RAM from OWC- and they supplied matched RAM modules. For very little additional money, I also bought some repair parts from Powerbook Medic, like key caps, optical drive, top case, etc.

The RAM & SSD made applications open faster & process much faster. Examples- Photoshop Elements at it's best opened in about 1 minute. Now it is 14 seconds. It processes changes really fast. Microsoft Word was well over a minute to open. Now it is 3 or 4 seconds. Excel took over a minute to load an existing spreadsheet. Now it loads so fast that I don't have time to click the next one in the Finder list. (I'll open 4 or 5 spreadsheets at once.) My CAD program is crazy fast at rendering. All in all, it is like having a spiffy new computer. Wonder what would happen if I could have 16 or 32 GM RAM? Naturally, sooner or later, I won't be able to upgrade to the newest OS, like my wife's MBP, but it's already given me 9 years of service.

Paul

Regarding software loading and operation...I have CS5 Web Premium that includes Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver among others. All run flawlessly on both my MP and my MBP17. Loading any of these on my MP takes just a few seconds. Loading Photoshop CS5.1 on my 17 doesn't take much more.

HOWEVER!!! That was a week or so ago. I recently upgraded the OS to 10.11.4 on my MP and I did not think about this until this thread but I would be willing to be that's when things started to slow down for me with everything causing spinning wheels. I think I'll first complete my AHT testing (If someone would provide some pointers for me since it is not on my machine and a D-boot goes nowhere) and then regress to 11.3 from 11.4. I'll let you know how I make out.

I seem to become quite wordy in my middle age of 79 but hope this helps. Thanks to Nick, Paul and harryb2448 for their considered notes as well. Cheers...

---OJ

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm probably going to buy a new 27", sell the old as I've had the old 6 years. Someone recommended getting the new drive with 500GB of SSD. Does me buying that from Apple at the outset cost the same as buying Drives with 3rd party? Of course Apple installs that, I don't have to deal with paying or DIY.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, I'm probably going to buy a new 27", sell the old as I've had the old 6 years.

Someone recommended getting the new drive with 500GB of SSD. Does me buying that from Apple at the outset cost the same as buying Drives with 3rd party? Of course Apple installs that, I don't have to deal with paying or DIY.

The up-charge for the 500gig SSD upgrade depends on which model 27" iMac you purchase. $500 for the low-end, $400 for the middle model, $200 for the top-end model.

I think that you can get 500gig SSD's for about $200 from OWC (macsales.com)…drive only. $225 as a kit.

Installing a new drive in a 2015 27" iMac is very difficult. Getting the display glass/display panel off is a real bugger!!! If you were to have an SSD installed…you better have a lot of trust in the installer!!! I guess you might be able to take it to Apple…but not 100% sure they would do it. They might say…why didn't you purchase it with a 500gig SSD in the first place!;)

But again. The 500gig upgrade cost depends on which 27" iMac you decide to go with.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.