• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A new secure box??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have wanted to turn one of these for ages and finally got around to doing it.

Started with some good and some spalted cherry and finished with a lot of bits. Unfortunately I forgot to get a photo of the wood before I started.

Not really difficult to do, but accuracy is essential. This next one is using my Jacobs chuck to ease the split tube out so that the end ring can be glued in place. It stops everything falling off :mrgreen:

Lining up the pins is a bit hairy

I'm gald that I decided on just 12 letters on each ring. There was no way that I was going to do 25 and not even 24 as my index ring on my chuck would allow. I just chose the letters I wanted for my key and chucked a load more in to fill the gaps. The pyrography of the letters was easy but 12 was enough. 3 on the end fixed ring but only one of them is the index

I love the spalting of that cherry, but it doesn't take anything away from the lettering. And now I have a nice new cryptex.

I hope that I can remember the key word :Oops::Oops: Still, I have always got me chain saw ??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very nice John…you're quite a wood turner. I really like working on a lathe as well. But you got me beat by a mile (or 1.6 kilometers)!;)

- Nick

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you Nick, but as long as you take care you could do it easily enough.

The French, being 'The French' would call that 1,600m and I kid you not:Evil::Evil:

When I left IBM I had no intention of getting into turning. Just making a few toys, but the bug bit, probably something you know well. Now, given the chance I'm in my workshop and doing size reduction exercises on a lump of wood :eek::eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
That is a nice piece of work. Thanks for the pictures.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you PGB. Looking at the first photo it looks as if the 2 tubes are cardboard or similar? They are lovely French cherry given to me by a neighbour. The tree had to come down a few years back and the wood had just sat in the garden waiting to go on the fire. In fact, it's all cherry. The ends and rings are slightly spalted. That's where the wood has started to rot and it's the fungus doing the breaking down of the wood. It can be quite subtle to start and then get really dramatic, like this

Wood is 'the' primary heat source here in France, especially outside the cities. Electricity and parafin are close 2nds. So I was really lucky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.