networking issues with windows

L

liberal123

Hi, Well, I searched for a topic, but couldn't find much of any use.

The problem is this:

I have a Mac Mini, G4, 1.42GHz, 512mb ram and usually connect to the internet via wireless router at my house.

I have recently taken my mac into the offices at work, and the only way to connect to the internet is via a laptop which connects to the internet via an adsl router (BT Voyager 105) with the ISP AOL UK :)

right, now, if this was a windblowz system, I would be able to share the connection easy, but as it isn't, and I have no mac networking experience then I'm at a loss.

The laptop is running XP with SP2, and has norton internet security installed, but we tried disabling that and it didn't work.

We are joined via ethernet cable, and my mac seems to think I have the internet, but, I don't ;)

As always, any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou Please.

Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Connect a switch to the routers LAN port and plug the two machines into the switch via ethernet.

Router>Switch>Computers

OP
L

liberal123

We don't have a switch or a router.

Just a mac, a windows laptop and a USB ADSL modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
liberal123 said:
I have recently taken my mac into the offices at work, and the only way to connect to the internet is via a laptop which connects to the internet via an adsl router (BT Voyager 105) with the ISP AOL UK

Then get a router with a built in switch,...$35.00-65.00 should get what you need to make your life easier. Linksys, Netgear, DLink.

OP
L

liberal123

Bought a netgear router now with a built in switch, Just thought there would have been a way to share a connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well,...There is a way. However the problem is that you need two interfaces in order to do it.

ie two NIC Cards or a NIC and an Airport card.

Internet into the ethernet port then shared out of the wireless card. Your computer acts as a software router.

Sharing it from a PC (ICS) is the same idea although not as obvious to enable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac :)
ie two NIC Cards or a NIC and an Airport card.
the router is a much better solution as each system is independent of all others
and traffic does not always flow thru the system in the middle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little late there buddy,...

check the dates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.