set justification for terminal window?

Reaction score
When I open a Terminal window, it appears on my screen in somewhat random places. I can specify the window size, font etc. But I don't see where I can specify where on my screen it appears. This would be of some value to me because for a particular application, I need a wide window that is the width of my screen, and it seems silly when that window pops up with the left edge a few inches away from the left edge of my screen, and the right hand side of the window is chopped off. Sure would be nice if I could make it appear left justified, relative to my screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Why don't you just drag it to where you want it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
On my computer the Terminal window appears where it was last placed. In other words…if I open Terminal & place the Terminal window in the upper left corner of my computers display. Then quit & relaunch Terminal 10x…the Terminal window always reappears in the upper left corner.

- Nick

Reaction score
On my computer the Terminal window appears where it was last placed. In other words…if I open Terminal & place the Terminal window in the upper left corner of my computers display. Then quit & relaunch Terminal 10x…the Terminal window always reappears in the upper left corner.

- Nick
Same here.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, very strangely, now that I'm opening and closing my Terminal specially sized window, and even closing the Terminal application and then restarting and opening my specially sized window, it's always popping up where I left it. Just as you say. But I *often* open it and have to move it where I need it. So something is changing. I just don't quite understand what.

I need to research this a bit.

Why am I not content to manually align my window? Because if my window is exactly the width of the screen, I have to align it with some care. If I didn't have to do that, it would just be more convenient.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, very strangely, now that I'm opening and closing my Terminal specially sized window, and even closing the Terminal application and then restarting and opening my specially sized window, it's always popping up where I left it. Just as you say. But I *often* open it and have to move it where I need it. So something is changing. I just don't quite understand what.

If you reboot the computer often…this could explain things. I didn't test this.

Give it a try if you're feeling it.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
OK, my apologies. This is one of those "Gee, wouldn't it be great if there were a way to ...", and it turns out that it's already the default. Thank you, Apple! Not completely sure what was confusing me here, but I did reboot, and everything works nicely.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal Doug!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.