Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8 core will not start up.

Reaction score
Help, my early 2008 Mac Pro desktop's external screen started skipping while playing the "Call Of Duty 4" video game, then froze up. I had to use the power button to shut the computer down. After restarting the computer it went into the startup screen with the Apple logo and rotating wheel for a short time before the screen froze again. Then a few minutes after it froze the screen turned a solid orange color. To shut down I have to use the power button.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since it does not seem like you are not able to properly start up your Mac Pro at the moment (could be hard drive related)…you may need to try starting it up from 2nd source. This is could be vis another bootable internal HD or a bootable external HD.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
To me it seems like your videocard died, are you using the stock 2600xt? Do you have another card to test with? even a pc card will do for a test you'll just have no bootscreen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It sounds like it is either the video card and/or hard drive. If trying to start it from a different hard drive either external or by replacing the internal drive does not work then replacing the video card would be the next best idea. All this has been said by Nick and Quinten. Just throwing my two cents in.

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Tried starting from a different hard drive and results unchanged. I wil replace the video card and see if that helps, and thanks Nick, Quinten and Lisa, I appreciate the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
No problem and good luck with your MacPro, They are wonderful machines! (When they work that is :p )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.