iPod Nano 7th Gen sync to Windows 10 after sync to OSX?

Reaction score
I just lost my trusted iPod Classic in an attempt to switch to Windows 10. Long story but I won't bore you with the gruesome details. So, I bought a new iPod Nano. The setup (on my iMac) was quick and flawless. The sync was perfect - no problems whatsoever. Now I would like switch the Nano over to windows 10 on a windows Laptop but am hesitant because I worry that the same disaster will occur as before. I am aware that I will have to reformat the Nano and reinstall and all that stuff. What do you think? Am I being reckless in risking the health and well-being of an innocent Nano? I value your opinions.

Additional information: I said 7th Generation Nano in the subject line but to be honest I'm not positive about that. What I can say for sure is that I bought it at Best Buy on March 23, 2016. Secondly, my dead iPod classic was 7 years old. Maybe it just died due to age? In other words was the transition from OSX to Windows 10 that risky of a procedure that maybe I should just forget about doing it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be honest, I do not recommend changing your iPod Nano from Mac syncing to Windows syncing. Both work equally well, however, I have found that changing over can sometimes confuse the iPod causing problems. The best way would be to have one Nano for your Mac and another for your Windows machine. Not really economically smart, but that way you can be assured your iPod will work best.

As to your iPod classic... usually it's the small hard drive that it uses which fails. That hard drive is replaceable but expensive. However, there are work arounds replacing the hard drive with a SD card. For instructions and repair go to www.ifixit.com and see if it's something you would like to do.

OP
O
Reaction score
To be honest, I do not recommend changing your iPod Nano from Mac syncing to Windows syncing. Both work equally well, however, I have found that changing over can sometimes confuse the iPod causing problems. The best way would be to have one Nano for your Mac and another for your Windows machine. Not really economically smart, but that way you can be assured your iPod will work best.

As to your iPod classic... usually it's the small hard drive that it uses which fails. That hard drive is replaceable but expengsive. However, there are work arounds replacing the hard drive with a SD card. For instructions and repair go to www.ifixit.com and see if it's something you would like to do.

Chacag, Thank you for responding. I believe that you are right in recommending that I purchase another Nano. My plan to attempt the Window syncing may or may not work well. I would be better off by biting the bullet and purchasing the second iPod. If I make the attempt and it fails I will be purchasing another nano. Either way I pay twice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.