Mmmmm....Mmmm... noise on G5

J

jtorboli

I bought my G5 awhile back and all of a sudden when I put a cd in the driver, it makes a mmm...mmmm... sound so loud its hard to hear the music. I researched it on the forum and seen that someone else had this problem but they were hooking it up to a speaker system, I am not, my speakers are internal. Has anyone had this problem or know what to do? I just want to listen to Martina while I work Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
That "mmmmmm....mmmmm" sound is normal, it is just the sound of the motor in the CD drive. It will happen if you put a CD in any computer. As for not being able to hear your music... the internal speakers on any computer are going to be crap (except maybe a PowerBook), if you don't want to buy external speakers then you can get some cheap headphones (20$ or so [you probably have a pair lying around the house anyway]).

--Cheers

OP
J

jtorboli

Benjamindaines said:
That "mmmmmm....mmmmm" sound is normal, it is just the sound of the motor in the CD drive. It will happen if you put a CD in any computer. As for not being able to hear your music... the internal speakers on any computer are going to be crap (except maybe a PowerBook), if you don't want to buy external speakers then you can get some cheap headphones (20$ or so [you probably have a pair lying around the house anyway]).

--Cheers

Thank you! I have heard it before- but not as often- I have been able to listen to musical CDs at work on a low volume many of times before and it be fine. What caused the motor to start up- if I shut my computer down at the end of the day, would that minimize the amount of times it comes on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The motor comes on because in order to read the disc it has to spin. Shutting down the computer wont help that. What you can do to eliminate the motor noise is import the CD into iTunes, take the CD out and then listen to the CD in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
is it a powermac? could be your fans, they can sound kinda loud and maybe like the computer is about to explode but everything is really and actually fine.

if you get a clicking noise when you put in your disk, that is bad. most likely due to bad media though.
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.