User Permissions in El Capitan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iMac
I have to keep giving permission to move files around to my two different external back up drives. When I checked the permissions I realised that I was 'everyone' and not the 'owner'. How can this be? I am the only one who uses this computer and I have no guests authorised either. Am I missing something integral? Thanks, Iain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently own several Mac laptops and desktops, iPod Touch, and iPad.
I have to keep giving permission to move files around to my two different external back up drives. When I checked the permissions I realised that I was 'everyone' and not the 'owner'. How can this be? I am the only one who uses this computer and I have no guests authorised either. Am I missing something integral? Thanks, Iain

Try setting the drives' privileges like so:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter the following:

sudo chown root:admin [enter a space after "admin"]

Drag the Desktop icon for the external drive into the Terminal window. Press RETURN. You will be prompted for your admin password, but it will not echo to the Terminal window. Press RETURN again.

Repeat for the second external drive.

Note that if there are ownership differences with files on each drive, then this will not fix the problem entirely. Each drive must have been used on different accounts. You cannot fix that unless you have duplicate accounts on the computers.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iMac
Much as I am nervous of the terminal I will try that. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.