How to set up a new password where none exists

Reaction score
I just purchased a mid-2012 macbook pro and I have a question about setting up a password. I am pleased with the laptop, but there is no password for log-in and I want to add one. The problem is there I don't want to get into a problem with what the previous owner may or may not have had as a password. Can you offer me any advice?

Bob

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just purchased a mid-2012 macbook pro and I have a question about setting up a password. I am pleased with the laptop, but there is no password for log-in and I want to add one. The problem is there I don't want to get into a problem with what the previous owner may or may not have had as a password. Can you offer me any advice?

First thing I always do when I purchase a "new to me" used computer…is reformat the HD…and do a fresh install of the OS. This way any residual stuff from the previous owner are eliminated.

As far as the password. Are you talking a login password when the computer is rebooted? If so…go to:

- Apple menu
- System Preferences
- Security & Privacy
- "General" tab

Here you will see the options for establishing a "login" password.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
First thing I always do when I purchase a "new to me" used computer…is reformat the HD…and do a fresh install of the OS. This way any residual stuff from the previous owner are eliminated.

As far as the password. Are you talking a login password when the computer is rebooted? If so…go to:

- Apple menu
- System Preferences
- Security & Privacy
- "General" tab

Here you will see the options for establishing a "login" password.:)

- Nick

I'm just wondering if that also fixes and setsup the same password for the user's Keychain Access etc. It didn't in the old OS X days.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.