Can I use an early 2006 Imac as external screen?

MBH

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out with the following problem. I've been looking for a way to use an early 2006 Imac (mini-DVI port; DVI output2; VGA output2; S-video and composite video output2) as an external screen, for my macbook mid 2010 (Mini DisplayPort to DVI/VGA). If there is a cable out there, I've been told it will be very hard to find. Before starting on this queste, I'd like to find out if an early 2006 Imac can actually function as an external screen (someone in a shop told me it might not and the technical specifications only show output, not input).

Thanks in advance!

technical specifications imac: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP35?locale=nl_NL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2006 iMac does not have a video input port, which if it did have one, would be the best way to use it as an external monitor. However, there are other methods which you can try: Target mode, remote desktop, and software called "ScreenRecycler. I can't relate as to how successful or unsuccessful each one is. You can do the googling and research.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Several years ago I used the screen sharing features built into OS X (System Preferences>Sharing>Screen Sharing) as well as ScreenRecycler. Both worked reasonably well. I'd start by trying the built-in screen sharing first as the current version of ScreenRecycler is not free though I believe there is a free demo. The built in tools have the advantage of not needing to install any extensions/other software reducing the chance of software conflicts.

When I used ScreenRecycler it was running on an older wireless network. The screen redraw was painfully slow under those circumstances. If it had been running on two computers connected via wired ethernet it would probably have been much faster.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? That may affect how much network speed you need to do this successfully.

OP
M

MBH

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm trying to use my macbook as the actual computer on which I work (in word e.g.) while using the imac as a screen to that computer. Screen sharing doesn't really work. I guess I'm better off just buying a screen:Confused:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Screen recycler will work well for some things. I used it to have Photoshop tools on one screen and the main document on the other. The redraw was real slow hen I made changes affecting the second screen but that was likely a function of two things:

1. using a oversold Mac as the second screen
2. One computer was accessing my network at the absolute slowest wireless speed (802.11a).

Depending upon the quality of screen you're willing to settle for you may be able to pick one up cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.