IPod classic 160 GB update query.

Reaction score
Has anybody replaced a 160 GB iPod classic hard drive with solid-state memory? SSD card or similar? If so, what size card did you use, what was the type and what was your impression of the result. Satisfactory or not worth doing?

My December 2009 iPod classic seems to have finally croaked after doing thousands of hours of service faithfully and reliably. I'd really like to update it with a minimum 128 GB card but even then I'd need to trim down my library. Ideally I'd go for a 256 GB card. I have seen references to skips in the music due to the use of solid-state cards, that concerns me a bit.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's doable but you need to be very careful not to damage the logic board. The folks at ifixit have the instructions and what tools you'll need. www.ifixit.com

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the link and the warning. I most definitely won't be doing any repairs/alterations myself. I'll leave it to the experts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.