Power failure with my imac G4

Reaction score
One of my two imacG4 dome desktops has suddenly decided it " doesn't want to play in my yard" anymore.
Tried to turn it on this morning,and nothing.!
I checked the wall plug....ok. Checked the computers power cord by switching it with my other ( working) dome....nothing.
Put my ear to the on/off switch....I can hear it click.....it just isn't getting power.
Any ideas.....I love my Domes!
Any and all help would be appreciated.

OP
A
Reaction score
Is a pram battery available and can an idiot/ novice like me change it out if I had one.
Can I be certain that is the problem?
I live in a very rural area of North Carolina , a transplant from Dallas Tx where there where all kinds of tech resources.
But alas not here.
Advice please......:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably not the PRAM battery…as you posted about in another thread. Even with a dead PRAM battery…the computer should still turn on…hard drive spin up…display illuminate.

Most likely the power supply has finally "headed for the last round-up". Check out eBay. If you're lucky…might be able to get a replacement cheap.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Threads merged together. Please keep the same topic all in one thread.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is a power supply hard to replace ?

Don't know what your skill/experience level is…or what tools you have…so it's hard to say (one person's hard is another's easy). Let's just say it's harder than changing the batteries in a flashlight (torch for UK folks).;)

And of course don't forget you need to find a replacement power supply & find one that fits your budget. If you can't find anything…no replacement project.;)

You're actually in a fairly uncommon situation. You have two iMac G4's (one working & one not). If they are the same or similar models…you could do some part swapping to troubleshoot the problem. Of course there is some risk of damaging something if you are not careful.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Hi Nick :)
Is a power supply hard to replace ?

Other than the fan, the power supply is the last part to remove from the case. Remove the base, then the logic board then the optical drive and hard drive. They are clamped together and are a tight fit, easier to remove than to replace. The power supply is in 2 segments. From when I last worked on these some years back you could have either a logic board or power supply fault.

OP
A
Reaction score
First...let me thank admin for merging my two inquiries.:Blushing:
Now....given the feedback, I will shelve the. Pram battery theory in favor of the power source.
I have located a replacement part on eBay. See pic.
image.jpg

I am considering purchasing this while it is available and sitting on it until I can find someone who can switch it out for me.
Is it worth changing the pram battery at the same time, since I will have to pay someone to do the surgery anyway :)?
God knows what it's going to cost to have someone do it but it seems that this is my only choice. My old hands( and nerves) are just not steady enough.
I know this is a shot in the dark.....but is there anyone on the Forum that hails from my "neck of the woods" zip code 28906 who could recommend a vintage apple repair guy?
I guess you all have figured out that I love my domes.
Thanks for the help......all advice is carefully considered.

Along with my ipad they are my only computers and I use them daily.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it worth changing the pram battery at the same time, since I will have to pay someone to do the surgery anyway :)?

Sure. No telling how old the battery is!;)

God knows what it's going to cost to have someone do it but it seems that this is my only choice.

There are at least two other choices:

1. Skip the repair & sell the computer for parts. Since the cost of the repair & the parts will very likely exceed the value of the computer.
2. Skip the repair. And if you really want two iMac G4's…take the money you would spend on the repair & parts…and buy another working iMac G4.

Of course if you really want to repair this computer (regardless of cost). I would hazard a guess at the repair costing $75-$100 (plus parts). Also remember. This computer is at least 12-13 years old. So you're going to have a VERY hard time finding someone who has experience working on an iMac G4. iMac G4's are not as easy to work on as other computers of that same vintage (or newer).

So you may be educating this repair person on how to work on an iMac G4…while paying for the repair at the same time.;) For computer's this old. Repairing it yourself is really the way to go (even though I know you mentioned not feeling capable of doing the repair).

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.