• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

::Genetics::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Alright guys, we have all heard the myth that hair genes come from your mother, or atleast the part that determines hair loss.

What do you guys think. Do you think that it is all from mother? or from both, like would logically make sense, considering I do not think its from a sex gene..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Suffering from hair-loss are we?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
I thought it was a combination of both side of the family??

Reaction score
My grandfather on my dad's side isn't completely bald, but bald enough. My dad and his older brother, although gray early, still have their hair, but my dad's younger brother starting going bald, so he shaved his hair all off. So yeah... I doubt it's genetic.

edit: By genetic, I meant I doubt that it's from one side exclusively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Well from what i've heard, the gene for male pattern baldness is carried on the X chromosome. Men have an X and Y chromosome and women have two X chromosomes, therefore you get the Y from your dad and the X from your mom. This means that you do in fact get the baldness gene from your mother, and also explains why most women dont go bald. The fact that they have two X chromosomes means that they have a 'spare', the X chromosome without the baldness gene will prevent them from going bald.

Just a little note, this is what i got out of my high school biology class which was about 4 years ago so I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject.

Reaction score
That does make a lot of sense. I remember talking about the same thing, only with being colorblind.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like someone need to start looking at hats. I suggest a Godfather if you are dressed up and a Porkpie if you are dressy causal. :) :p

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nahh, I am not going bald, yet. :) I still have all my hair. It is something I have not thought about until I noticed my buddy is starting to lose his hair. I was just curious at this point, if I do start to notice hair loss, I will just invest in some dht blockers which will slow the process down or stop it.

I guess now I have to wonder if I got the good X or the bad X from my mother :) so far I think its the good one :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I think its the mother's fault. Heck, I am 24 years old and just realized I am color blind last week. My girlfriend always made fun of me when we were in the paint store trying to pick out colors for our house. Reading up on it, its my mother's fault that I suffer from this. I guess I have to face the fact that I am a disabled American.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this all seems pretty much settled

buy your friends on of these:
ac2440_sky.jpg

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never had this many conversations with my buddies about genetics before. I probably should have remembered this, but I thought I was taught that you can only ahve 50% the same genes as your siblings if non twin...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What color is that hat? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
lol sorry man...baby blue

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think he was kidding, considering it would be really rare to be blue yellow color blind, hes probably "just" Red Green :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Thought I'd drop in... The post above about the gene being carried on the X chromosome, etc, describes a theory that was believed to be true until recently. The theory was actual described from studies done almost 100 years ago.

Modern research has determined that hair loss certainly may be genetic, but it most likely a complex set of several genes, rather than getting a single one from here or there. Simply put however, modern research hasn't figured out how the heck hair loss works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I made an attempt at a joke. And Graphite, I think it is blue/green color blind but you may be right. All I know is I found this at TShirtHell the other day and I can't figure out what it says, can somebody help me out????

Shirt for the Rainbow Challenged

B

Badger

Personally I don't think it's genetics; I think it's women in general. I had a full head of hair before we were married. Now I resemble Yul Brenner.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
techster82 said:
Yeah, I made an attempt at a joke. And Graphite, I think it is blue/green color blind but you may be right. All I know is I found this at TShirtHell the other day and I can't figure out what it says, can somebody help me out????

Shirt for the Rainbow Challenged

Nope its Blue/Yellow (rare) Red/Green (common) and then u have the Monochromacy which is black and white (rare).

This is because the blue and yellow are on the same receptor (cone). Red and green are also on the same receptor (cone). Night vision is all done with rods, so a person with Monochromacy is mostly missing their cones.

Cones are more dense along the middle of your eye, the rods are along the edges. You may have noticed when you are looking in the night you notice light better and clearer if your not looking directly at it. Check out the stars one night and check it out. You may loose stars if you look straight ahead.

-Dr. Graphite. :biohazard

Ive taken so many psyc/bio courses on that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I think it has to do with your Great-Step-Aunt's Second Cousin's Dog.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here is a Color Blind Test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.