Screenshots (command-shift-3) file format

J

justmehere

Hey everyone...I've asked this question before but this time I'm running OSX 10.3 I want to make screenshots of certain applications on this OSX. Now I know you can go command-shift-3 but the files come out as pdf. I need them to be either jpg or bmp (prefered). Is there a way to change the default behaviour so each snapshot comes out in either of these two formats ? I just don't want to convert them from pdf to the other format just trying to save a step. thanks.

Reaction score
Tinkertool will change this pref. Can save to many different formats. I think it also changes where default save location is.
Or you could try this, copied from another forum (works in Tiger, don't know about 10.3):

Just open a Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type image_format
Replace image_format with your preferred image format. I imagine that anything supported by QuickTime should work.

OP
D

dmetzcher

cradom said:
Tinkertool will change this pref. Can save to many different formats. I think it also changes where default save location is.
Or you could try this, copied from another forum (works in Tiger, don't know about 10.3):

Just open a Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type image_format
Replace image_format with your preferred image format. I imagine that anything supported by QuickTime should work.
Change Screen Capture Formats Via Terminal
Here are the screen capture formats that can be used. I tested these out and posted the tip. Also, when you are done entering the line in the Terminal, you have to enter "killall SystemUIServer" in the Terminal (or log out) to put the changes into effect. Note that this works for Tiger, and should also work under Panther.

OP
J

justmehere

Thanks to both I'm going to give that a try today. If I run into any snags will reply back with another post. Thanks again.

OP
J

justmehere

Well I tried both tinkertool (could not find the setting to change screenshots) and the terminal command and the terminal command seemed to work without any errors...but the files are still being saved as pdf. I followed exactly as all of you said and checked the link for an example.

http://www.mymacblog.com/index.php/archive/tip-change-screen-capture-format-via-the-terminal/

I typed exactly "defaults write com.apple.screencapture type bmp" and then the killall SystemUIServer command.

Reaction score
Tinkertool ver.3.5.....look under general, popup in the middle of the window.
Oh, and it doesn't have an option of "where" to save.

OP
D

dmetzcher

justmehere said:
Well I tried both tinkertool (could not find the setting to change screenshots) and the terminal command and the terminal command seemed to work without any errors...but the files are still being saved as pdf. I followed exactly as all of you said and checked the link for an example.

http://www.mymacblog.com/index.php/archive/tip-change-screen-capture-format-via-the-terminal/

I typed exactly "defaults write com.apple.screencapture type bmp" and then the killall SystemUIServer command.
Are you typing the first command ("defaults write com.apple..." etc.), followed by the Return key, followed by the "killall SystemUIServer" command, followed by the return key?
Also, "SystemUIServer" is case-sensitive, so you have to type it as it's written here.

OP
J

justmehere

Thanks for everyone's help. BTW I'm running 10.3.9 not 10.4.

Tinkertool version 3.6.1 ONLY has the following options under General:

--> Place scroll arrows
--> Expose window hiding
--> Display of sheets

Yes I did run the Terminal commands as follows:

> defaults write com.apple.screencapture type bmp <return>
> killall SystemUIServer <return>

I even logged off and logged back in again even a reboot. There is something were mising here.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I don't know about permenantly changing the file type, but if you just want to do a screenshot type in Terminal:

sleep 10; screencapture ~/Desktop/Screenshot.png

The sleep command gives you 10 seconds (you can change it) to minimize the Terminal window and you can save it to wherever you want and with whatever filetype you want (as long as it's supported by Quicktime and Preview).

Another example:

sleep 30; screencapture ~/Pictures/MyScreen.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
When i take screenshots it saves them as PNG and I use preview to save to different file formats
96e9d617.png

Im using Tiger hence spotlight
Tested and this also works with PDFs
49167115.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Cool thanks for the guide it worked for me, its nice having it just for jpg instead of saving them all as different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.