Recommended Anti-Virus apps ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I agree, you don't need third party AV software, particularly since OS X has its own native AV software, known as XProtect. It is updated quietly in the background and actively blocks known malware. In essence, this makes it a non-issue. If you really want to have a third party package, I've found BitDefender for OS X to be unobtrusive and it can do on-demand scans should you be concerned of an issue. You can find it in the Mac App Store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many computer users are somewhat paranoid, and when "bad stuff" happens they like to blame it on "a virus."

Well said Randy!:) Misinterpretation of "bad stuff" by users is common. Many times (from why I've seen)...the "bad stuff" is due to user-misunderstandings (how things work) or user-error.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Malware intrusion onto Mac

Hello ChrisUK,

Although I have never willingly been a Windows user, I can understand your anxiety about addressing antivirus issues that are so prevalent in the Windows environment, existing in your newly discovered Macintosh environment.

I believe that some OSX users/advisers are perhaps averse to the idea that Mac targeted viruses exist. I have suffered one particularly destructive virus, malware episode (whatever term the "pundits" wish to call it, the data loss was irreparable) and have sought the same 'peace of mind' you apparently seek. "Avast Mac Security" checks daily for all current virus definitions and recognises and defends against any virus meeting those new definitions, whether you are opening emails (Apple Mail) or web browsing (Safari).

I have installed the free "Avast Mac Security" package and been protected ever since. This free program can run scans across your active System (even while using it), external drives etc. It can store any viruses detected during a scan in a secure “Chest” within the Avast program or destroy it, as you wish.

It scans all emails you receive quietly and in the background. While browsing (in Safari at least), it will INSTANTLY recognise and protect against any infected web site (as defined in its daily virus definition update check). It displays a screen entitled “infection blocked!” and provides details of the attempted viral/infection attack.

My comments may be regarded as "heretical" in some Mac user/forum quarters; I alone know the irreparable data storage damage inflicted by a Mac orientated virus or malware. I have the entire destructive set of instructions for forensic examination by those more knowable than me but no one has ever asked for this "proof" of my assertion of Mac orientated virus or malware's existence.

I suggest your try "Avast Mac Security"; it costs nothing and I have felt safer (computer use wise) ever since. Where Avast can finance their free software is through software windows offering to hide your browsing identity. This involves you subscribing to their "premium" service for a fee. The Avast Mac Security itself runs happily, quietly and effectively in the background without those "upgrade to premium" windows intruding into your use of this Mac orientated anti virus software on any regular basis.

I hope this may reassure you that effective anti virus software is available (AND free) in the Macintosh environment.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

I worry about those who say there is no malware (or at least viruses) on Mac. Mathematicians would call it, "you can't prove a negative". Last September I got a call from my bank that my MasterCard had been compromised (charged $500 trips to Marrakesh and so on - from Prince Edward Island?!!!). They instructed me to do a clean install. I don't know the source, but I would have to guess there is about one explanation: malware on my Mac. Randy B. Singer might suggest all sorts of other possibilities and I would appreciate his thoughts.

My Mac will never be the same again. The expense and time lost to rebuilding everything is enormous but any real damaging loss of data is negligible in the big scheme of things.

I run Malwarebytes every now and again, never finding anything. Pardon me for having no answers but I simply wanted to relate an instance. To some folks on here, please do not take offence, "He who knows it all has a lot to learn".

I like my Mac and don't like doing all that translating and .pdf'ing to correspond with others, but that inconvenience is still preferable to using Windows. I am now using Windows 10 on the Virtual Machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I worry about those who say there is no malware (or at least viruses) on Mac.

For the past 15 years that OS X has been available…this statement continues to be made. And the folks that continue to think that "the sky is falling" continue to worry. Sure…there may eventually be a day when a virus on a Mac may occur (nothing is impossible). What we can say is (in regards to virus's)…15 years with OS X is a pretty good track record.

If you feel that "the sky is about to fall"…then install an AV app.:) But remember…for the most part...AV apps are specifically written to find existing virus's. If there are no virus's for a Mac currently…what is this AV app going to find (nothing)?? AV apps can be written to find anomalies. Which usually are "false-positives".

So again…install an AV app if you want to. It will find nothing (because there's nothing to find). And the bonus is…many AV apps do come with some overhead…so prepare for some system slowdowns.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I worry about those who say there is no malware (or at least viruses) on Mac. Mathematicians would call it, "you can't prove a negative". Last September I got a call from my bank that my MasterCard had been compromised (charged $500 trips to Marrakesh and so on - from Prince Edward Island?!!!). They instructed me to do a clean install. I don't know the source, but I would have to guess there is about one explanation: malware on my Mac. Randy B. Singer might suggest all sorts of other possibilities and I would appreciate his thoughts.........

Hello and sorry for your MC issue, but curious if the bank knew in some way that malware was on your computer? Over the decades, we've had to change credit cards a half dozen times for various reasons, e.g. ordered some food from an online retailer using a CC (forget which one) and shortly after an order for some stereo equipment on the west coast appeared using our card (and from the retailer) and several times, restaurant wait people likely used our CC to purchase items. Never had to really clean our computers and we were running Windows back in those days and not doing 'online banking' - glad that all is well now. Dave :)

P.S. wife has an iPhone 6 setup for Apple Pay - need to look more into that option, and all of our CCs have the EMV smart chip but the local retailers seen to be SLOOOW in adapting.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I worry about those who say there is no malware (or at least viruses) on Mac. Mathematicians would call it, "you can't prove a negative". Last September I got a call from my bank that my MasterCard had been compromised (charged $500 trips to Marrakesh and so on - from Prince Edward Island?!!!). They instructed me to do a clean install. I don't know the source, but I would have to guess there is about one explanation: malware on my Mac. Randy B. Singer might suggest all sorts of other possibilities and I would appreciate his thoughts.

My Mac will never be the same again. The expense and time lost to rebuilding everything is enormous but any real damaging loss of data is negligible in the big scheme of things.

I run Malwarebytes every now and again, never finding anything. Pardon me for having no answers but I simply wanted to relate an instance. To some folks on here, please do not take offence, "He who knows it all has a lot to learn".

I like my Mac and don't like doing all that translating and .pdf'ing to correspond with others, but that inconvenience is still preferable to using Windows. I am now using Windows 10 on the Virtual Machine.
Your CC was probably not taken from your computer, but more likely from either some online store you went to, or more likely a restaurant you visited where the waiter took your card information and sold it. I've had four instances of that and finally nailed it down to the restaurant in question and reported it to the local police. They told me the place was under surveillance because multiple people reported the same issue. I've stopped using my CC there and only pay cash.

Your bank was just spewing boilerplate gaff they hand off to Windows users that doesn't apply to OSX. You didn't need to do anything on your computer. Sorry for the hassle they put you through. I'd seriously consider changing banks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I worry about those who say there is no malware (or at least viruses) on Mac. Mathematicians would call it, "you can't prove a negative". Last September I got a call from my bank that my MasterCard had been compromised (charged $500 trips to Marrakesh and so on - from Prince Edward Island?!!!). They instructed me to do a clean install. I don't know the source, but I would have to guess there is about one explanation: malware on my Mac.

Your bank was right to notify you, however, they were way off base about your credit card being stolen from your computer by malware. I have had my personal and business credit cards compromised several times over the past 5 years. The last time it was by someone in Ireland (I'm in Texas). Thieves can duplicate credit cards even if they have never seen yours - it's called random duplication. Also, shopping on line or using your card in stores is likewise a risk. And like Jake stated above, restaurant workers many times are just waiting to get hold of a credit card number to use.

Bottom line: There probably was no malware on your computer and you did a clean install and all that extra work out of precaution. That's OK, but you need to know that credit card fraud usually happens as explained above by Jake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
Anti-virus software and ransomware

Hi, I've been following this thread with interest since I am not really technically knowledgeable. I do get that anti-virus software is basically not needed for my Macs but I am wondering if these programs give protection against ransomware. There was a scary tv segment on 60 Minutes I think about how hackers can freeze a computer and hold it for ransom. So can software like Norton or Kaspersky protect against that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No they won't and they are the worst of the lot of AV companies. Watching where you go on the 'net will help and they cannot 'freeze' your Mac. Simply a matter of quitting, powering down the router, disconnect from mains for ten minutes or so, and then reboot everything back up. The very worst thing to do is to go to the website they promote or ring the telephone contact. They can only get control of your computer with your co-operation.

Have a very strong alpha/numerical password with capitals and divulge it to no one ever!!!

M

MacInWin

Hi, I've been following this thread with interest since I am not really technically knowledgeable. I do get that anti-virus software is basically not needed for my Macs but I am wondering if these programs give protection against ransomware. There was a scary tv segment on 60 Minutes I think about how hackers can freeze a computer and hold it for ransom. So can software like Norton or Kaspersky protect against that?

Thanks.
Natively in OS X, probably not. However, I saw one post that said if you run Windows as a virtual machine in Parallels, or VMWare and give it permission to write to your entire drive, then a Windows virus could cause problems on the OS X drive. The answer is, of course, never run Windows without A/V protection. I do have Windows for one application and i have Norton installed and current on it for just that reason. If you aren't running Windows, it hasn't been a problem for OS X so far. Now some folks have had their browser hijacked, but that's easily fixable and preventable with Malwarebytes (fix) and Ghostery or Privacy Badger (preventers).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do get that anti-virus software is basically not needed for my Macs but I am wondering if these programs give protection against ransomware. There was a scary tv segment on 60 Minutes I think about how hackers can freeze a computer and hold it for ransom. So can software like Norton or Kaspersky protect against that?

Nope. AV does not protect against ransomware. On the other hand…don't need any protection from ransomeware…other than the "gray-matter" between the ears. The way these folks get hold of your computer is if someone foolishly calls the "800" number that's displayed…and the user provides these folks with computer & personal info.

harry described one way to exit a ransomware experience.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks harryb2448 but is it really as simple as that? That would be great!

I thought that victims had somehow had access to their files denied with a non-closable pop up window saying something to the effect that in order to regain control of their computer a "fee" had to be paid. I don't remember the details but I think that some kind of unbreakable encryption had been added.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. I am running W7 under Parallels but do have Norton installed there.

Reaction score
I am wondering if these programs give protection against ransomware.

There is no ransomware for the Macintosh.

Unfortunately, there is something that I call "scareware" for the Macintosh that tries to scare you into thinking that you have been infected by ransomware.

If you encounter it, it is extremely scary, but the reality is that nothing has been downloaded to your Mac, your data has not been touched, and it's really easy to deal with if you know how. Just be careful to *NEVER* call any phone numbers in scareware.

I've written an entire article about it. Have a look at:

Scary Internet Scam Becoming Disturbingly Common
http://tidbits.com/article/15777

Reaction score
Thanks harryb2448 but is it really as simple as that? That would be great!

I thought that victims had somehow had access to their files denied with a non-closable pop up window saying something to the effect that in order to regain control of their computer a "fee" had to be paid. I don't remember the details but I think that some kind of unbreakable encryption had been added.

That sort of what happens. The deal is that when you visit an infected Web site (the site is almost always infected temporarily by an ad pushed to it through an advertising service), you encounter what amounts to a pop-up ad that makes it appear that your entire screen has been taken over. You apparently can't get out of this screen or quit your browser. A very scary message will be on your screen saying any number of extremely worrisome things and it tells you to call a number to be freed. If you call that number you will be coerced into paying money that you in no way need to pay (and which probably won't help in any case.)

If you are running Safari all that you need to do is force-quit, and then when you re-start Safari you need to hold down the Shift key to clear the scareware. Your data has been untouched and there is no malware on your computer.

There is a much better explanation of all this in my article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy. I have downloaded your article and will read it. Your and harryb2448's answers make me feel much better.

Reaction score
Hello Randy B. Singer et al,

It's very belated I know but I thought relating my 'experience' with infected sites being accessed via Safari might be of interest.

At the risk of heresy comments, I installed "Avast Mac Security" on my 21.5" iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5. The app is free and I find it reassuring.

Occasionally, 'avast' will instantly and block an infected website. A warning window "Infection Blocked!" appears which displays the detailed nature of the Infection, URL, File and Process. It does this preventative action "on the fly" which no other Mac anti virus application I attach a screen shot of one such warning window to illustrate. No other 'anti virus software for Mac (e.g. Avira, OnyX, or ClamAv which is no longer free) came close to Avast's apparent constant activity in safeguarding the Mac in use. It evens scans emails in "Mail" as you open them.

Viruses/Infections may be said to be non existent on the Mac but thought my experience may interest some, possibly raising discussion in the process.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

M

MacInWin

PaulRanger1, it's not heresy. But it also should not be reassuring to you. Avast (or any other antivirus package) will occasionally find a virus, or infection in your email or on a website. But the point is that NONE of those viruses or infections can affect your Mac. All Avast, or any other AV package, can find are Windows viruses because there are, at this time, none out there for the Mac for it to find. So Avast dutifully reports to you that it found something (it did), but what it found cannot affect you. So, is that discovery of something that cannot affect you in any way useful to you? Is it worth the cost of Avast both in terms of dollars and the performance hit you take for it to run?

Here is an analogy--I have a piece of equipment that you can install on a vehicle that will tell you if your gasoline engine is not performing up to par. It's perfect, it works well, exactly as advertised. It does rob you of about 10% of your power to run it, but it will tell you everything that is wrong with your gasoline engine and even offer to fix it for you on the fly. But your car doesn't have a gasoline engine, it has a diesel engine. Would you run it? What benefit would you expect from it?

Viruses are not "said to be non existent" on the Mac, they ARE nonexistent at this time. And Avast won't find the first one to appear because Avast won't know what to look for, it doesn't exist.Avast finds viruses that have already been found, by looking for the signature of the virus. The first macOS virus will be a "zero Day" virus because until it appears, nobody know what that signature will be.

Bottom line, get rid of Avast, you'll be better off in the long run. If and when a virus DOES appear for macOS, you can then get whatever you want. In the meantime, Avast is only finding Windows viruses for you. Interesting, but not useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Give it a miss Jake. He just does not want to believe it being a former Windows user.

M

MacInWin

Ah, Harry, even if I don't get through to PaulRanger1, maybe I can prevent another switcher from falling to the antivirus scam!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.