El Capitan Upgrading & SIP Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 1.3 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.11.6 iMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.9.5
Hi,

I'm still happily running Mavericks on both my iMac & MacBook Air, but am now considering updating to El Capitan, on the MacBook at least.

Where I have concerns is with the new System Integrity Protection that's been introduced and how it will affect some of the apps I have installed.

After the update, will I get warnings that certain apps are now disabled, or will that only happen when trying to run them and then have to go through the process I've read about by temporarily disabling SIP to reinstall the app, then enable SIP again?

I just want to be clear in my mind before taking the plunge!

Many thanks,
Bill

M

MacInWin

It should warn you about applications that don't work. However, it may not catch all of them. And the disable/renable SIP works until an update from Apple undoes your install and has to be repeated. I've abandoned the one or two apps that required me to bypass SIP because they will eventually be totally blocked. The handwriting is on the wall.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where I have concerns is with the new System Integrity Protection that's been introduced and how it will affect some of the apps I have installed.

Very few apps are affected by SIP, but it depends on what you're currently using. Apps such as XtraFinder and TotalFinder do not work right and any app that changes system folder icons, and their location also no longer work. As far as getting a warning about an app that SIP blocks, you may or may not get a warning. I had one that just simply refused to launch because of SIP but got no warning before hand.

OP
Moro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 1.3 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.11.6 iMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.9.5
Thanks to you both.

@chscag - yes one of the apps would be XtraFinder, but does it include any non App Store app, or only those that need to modify system files?

M

MacInWin

Non App Store apps may be caught by the Gatekeeper, but that's easily handled. If the application, no matter the source, needs to modify system files, SIP will prevent that. XtraFinder is one, as you know, that modifies system files and so won't install in El Capitan with SIP on. I suspect that the approach to SIP will only get tighter as time goes on, eventually making it virtually impossible to bypass SIP for the end user, so, IMHO, now is the team to wean away from apps like that.

OP
Moro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK guys, thanks very much, I'll go for it later when I've got a bit more time.

Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.