SXDC for Time Machine Backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
Can anyone tell me good reasons to not use SXDC for TM backups?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can anyone tell me good reasons to not use SXDC for TM backups?

In my opinion, their unreliability is the best reason for not using one. I realize that even some of the best external hard drives can fail, but for the most part they're reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I think it's a matter of what you backup.
El Cap on my mini is about 58 GB. My accumulated TM backup is currently 206 GB (about 2 yr worth, includes Mavericks and Yosemite along the way).
If you intend a one-time TM, it will take whatever space your current boot drive uses (I think -- I didn't look at it initially).
Is that what you plan?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Using an SD card for TM backups is better than nothing. Reliability would be my main concern vs. spinning HD's and SSD's.

- Nick

OP
kentsb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
I think it's a matter of what you backup.
El Cap on my mini is about 58 GB. My accumulated TM backup is currently 206 GB (about 2 yr worth, includes Mavericks and Yosemite along the way).
If you intend a one-time TM, it will take whatever space your current boot drive uses (I think -- I didn't look at it initially).
Is that what you plan?

I just got a new iMac and thought it might be a good use of the SXDC slot. I went ahead and got a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB. I am not concerned about space. My old iMac had seven years of backups all the way from Leopard to El Cap. I was only using 1.3TB. Even after eight years I had only used 170 GB of my 250 GB HD on the Mac. Thanks to all for your input.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.